Main Menu

Justice, Scandinavian style

Started by Slargos, April 14, 2011, 12:39:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slargos

Quote from: Tyr on April 14, 2011, 12:56:39 PM
Quote from: dps on April 14, 2011, 12:55:36 PM
Quote from: Tyr on April 14, 2011, 12:53:45 PM
I don't see the big deal. Isn't kidnapping a lesser crime than killing? Even conspiring to kill would fall short of actually killing

Except for the bit where she actually did get killed, yeah.

In the U.S., generally, if someone is killed during the course of a felony, it's considered murder, even if the death was an "accident".
What he's objecting to is the guy who actually killed her getting a higher sentance than the guy who had nought to do with the killing.

Except for hiring him to kill her.

Norgy

Dude's Norwegian and apparently lived on protein shakes and steroids.

It's strange that Khan (yes, that's the other guy) got off the murder charge, given that it is rather firmly established that he ordered No Brains to kill her.
Still, I expect the prosecution won't let this lie.

Slargos

Quote from: Norgy on April 14, 2011, 01:02:26 PM
Dude's Norwegian and apparently lived on protein shakes and steroids.

It's strange that Khan (yes, that's the other guy) got off the murder charge, given that it is rather firmly established that he ordered No Brains to kill her.
Still, I expect the prosecution won't let this lie.

I fervently hope not.

I don't think I can take any more of this. Eventually I'll crack and start going after judges. I expect they'll catch me after the first one.  <_<

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Norgy

Valmy

I don't see the big deal. Isn't kidnapping a lesser crime than killing? Even conspiring to kill would fall short of actually killing

Except he did kill her...through violent coercive force.  He just did not mean to kill her...maybe.  But if you commit an act of violence against somebody resulting in their death how is that not killing them?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ideologue

Quote from: Viking on April 14, 2011, 01:04:54 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on April 14, 2011, 12:57:31 PM
Sweden has rednecks.  Fascinating.

Norway, Sweden has RedNex

I got confused.  Forgot Slargy had immigrated. -_-

Quote from: ValmyExcept he did kill her...through violent coercive force.  He just did not mean to kill her...maybe.  But if you commit an act of violence against somebody resulting in their death how is that not killing them?

Well, that's why the backyard wrestler there got a manslaughter conviction.  I suppose Norway simply doesn't have a law that makes the principal criminally liable.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Norgy

Quote from: Valmy on April 14, 2011, 01:10:07 PM

Except he did kill her...through violent coercive force.  He just did not mean to kill her...maybe.  But if you commit an act of violence against somebody resulting in their death how is that not killing them?

Not that I entirely trust the reports from the courts, but both these guys were more than a little insane. The Khan character had been stalking her for ages and tried to hire several people to spy on her, abduct her and even kill her. The irony is that the police didn't really follow those leads, as they seemed preoccupied with their own angle; honour killing by a family member.

It is not uncommon, but in the case of a Norwegian girl being abducted, I am sure a stalker would be on the suspect list.

Khan seems to have been doing everything possible to make her life a miserable hell, and for that alone deserves more than 8 years, unless those years are spent with Slargosians in the shower.

Slargos

Quote from: Ideologue on April 14, 2011, 01:16:01 PM

And still I don't get a pass on racism, despite being an immigrant myself. Turns out you need to be brown-skinned in order to be allowed racism.

KRonn

According to the OP the guy received a manslaughter conviction. I'd think it could instead be more like what the US would call second degree murder, the step above manslaughter, but depending on how the trial went, it could be a manslaughter conviction instead.

Slargos

Quote from: Norgy on April 14, 2011, 01:17:34 PM

Not that I entirely trust the reports from the courts, but both these guys were more than a little insane. The Khan character had been stalking her for ages and tried to hire several people to spy on her, abduct her and even kill her. The irony is that the police didn't really follow those leads, as they seemed preoccupied with their own angle; honour killing by a family member.

It is not uncommon, but in the case of a Norwegian girl being abducted, I am sure a stalker would be on the suspect list.

Khan seems to have been doing everything possible to make her life a miserable hell, and for that alone deserves more than 8 years, unless those years are spent with Slargosians in the shower.

Ironic? No. More like "typical".

It is the Norwegian way.

Q: How do you kill a Norwegian turgåer in the mountains?
A: Mark his map with a bridge spanning a cliff and wait for him to attempt to cross it.

Slargos

Quote from: KRonn on April 14, 2011, 01:21:17 PM

According to the OP the guy received a manslaughter conviction. I'd think it could instead be more like what the US would call second degree murder, the step above manslaughter, but depending on how the trial went, it could be a manslaughter conviction instead.

The designations have always confused and bewildered me.

He was sentenced for murdering her, rather than "causing death" but it was not deemed deliberate or planned.

Ideologue

Quote from: Slargos on April 14, 2011, 01:18:27 PM

And still I don't get a pass on racism, despite being an immigrant myself. Turns out you need to be brown-skinned in order to be allowed racism.

You immigrated to a virtually identical country. :lol:  It's like if I went to go live in Texas.  Except I'd have to travel farther.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Slargos

Quote from: Ideologue on April 14, 2011, 01:24:38 PM
Quote from: Slargos on April 14, 2011, 01:18:27 PM

You immigrated to a virtually identical country. :lol:  It's like if I went to go live in Texas.  Except I'd have to travel farther.

If you only knew...

The Norwegians may be white, but underneath they're no better than Somalis or Gypsies.

I guess in that sense I am left looking rather foolish when claiming race is the problem rather than a deeply corrupt culture.

Viking

Norwegian Law /= American Law, remember? Pre-meditation in comitting the kidnapping does not result in premeditation in the death that comes as a result of the kidnapping. Khan's defense was basically that he payed the guy to kidnap her, not kill her. Nyfløt's defense was (and this is comic gold) that he didn't want to kidnap her, he wanted to use the kidnapping to set up khan and murder him instead because he was inspired by the TV show Dexter to be serial killer that killed criminals.

If I understand US law right, if somebody dies as a result of a criminal act, those who participated in that criminal act are guilty of murder (or so it has been explained to me by fictional american TV shows). Norwegian law, obviously, is different.

I'm still trying to find out who the lay-judges were in this case and what political party they belonged to.

Edit: Lay Judges are not mentioned in the media (much like jury's), but for this level court guilt or innocence is decided by a panel of three, one judge and two lay judges. The lay judges are selected by the local county council. At the next level up (which this case will be appealed to) you have three judges deciding legal issues and a panel of 10 lay judges (basically a jury) which decides guilt. My problem with the lay judges (basically the jury pool) is that it is not random, but rather selected by the county council.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.