Religious Faux Pas? Most American Catholics Use Contraception

Started by garbon, April 14, 2011, 11:53:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scipio

Quote from: Ideologue on April 14, 2011, 01:53:53 PM
Can any moral system other than a brutal pragmatism be based on reality? :hmm:
I weep for the youth of America.  You and my wife have the same useless blind spot.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Ideologue

I was kind of kidding.  There certainly is no natural law or morality, but pragmatism and brutality need not, and usually do not, serve the same interests.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Viking

Quote from: Ideologue on April 14, 2011, 02:38:20 PM
I was kind of kidding.  There certainly is no natural law or morality, but pragmatism and brutality need not, and usually do not, serve the same interests.

damn... Poe's law strikes again.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on April 14, 2011, 01:52:34 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 14, 2011, 01:49:19 PM
Quote from: Viking on April 14, 2011, 12:41:05 PM
Religion Standards of any type makes people hypocrites, film at 23.

Standards consistent with reason and reality don't. Morals based on untrue desert fairy tales cannot possibly be realistic. Morals based on reality can.

Maybe for Robots, not for people.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: dps on April 14, 2011, 01:20:58 PM
Hardly news.  This has been true for at least 30-some years, at least in the States.  And I would assume that it's been true of Catholics in most places in the West, and in the former Communist bloc, for a while as well.  In the 3rd World, probably a lot less so.
Even in the developing world.  I mean the birthrate in Latin America's nothing from what it was and I'm fairly sure Brazilians haven't stopped having sex.
Let's bomb Russia!

Camerus

Oh shit.  There goes Viking again.   Religion sucks and is a blight to humankind - who knew?  :lol:

Not to pick on Viking, mind, or say anything about the merits of his opinion.  It's just - at what point do we agree that having the same conversation for the 1000000th time where the same people drone on with the same comments on their same pet topics with 0 changes in anybody's perception adds no value anymore? 

DGuller

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Scipio on April 14, 2011, 02:33:50 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on April 14, 2011, 01:53:53 PM
Can any moral system other than a brutal pragmatism be based on reality? :hmm:
I weep for the youth of America.  You and my wife have the same useless blind spot.

I thought Slargos had made this comment til I saw your quote of it. :unsure:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?