Hot pink-toenailed boy in J. Crew ad sparks controversy

Started by garbon, April 13, 2011, 04:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on April 14, 2011, 01:47:14 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on April 14, 2011, 01:21:00 PM
Developmentally normal children are adept at determining socially stigmatizing factors, regardless of their intrinsic value? :hmm:

Yet another normal boy may want to wear pink and identify with it.
in ye olde times blue was a baby girls colour and pink a baby boys. not sure when it changed. Probably like in this example when a women really wanted a daughter and started dressing up her kid in blue.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Ideologue

Quote from: HVC on April 14, 2011, 01:53:18 PM
Developmentally normal children are adept at determining socially stigmatizing factors, regardless of their intrinsic value? :hmm:

in ye olde times blue was a baby girls colour and pink a baby boys. not sure when it changed. Probably like in this example when a women really wanted a daughter and started dressing up her kid in blue.

Something I need to look up is when it became de rigeur for women to shave their legs.  That may not be entirely arbitrary (there may be some selective advantage to hairlessness, and faking it in the phenotype is enough to fool the genotype responsible for the attraction), but it still seems a bit strange.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

dps

Quote from: HVC on April 14, 2011, 01:53:18 PM

I read about that just recently, but don't remember where I read it, unfortunately.  The change was more recent than you might think.  Sometime around WWII, IIRC.

Valmy

Quote from: Ideologue on April 14, 2011, 01:56:20 PM
Something I need to look up is when it became de rigeur for women to shave their legs.  That may not be entirely arbitrary (there may be some selective advantage to hairlessness, and faking it in the phenotype is enough to fool the genotype responsible for the attraction), but it still seems a bit strange.

It was done during rationing during WWII to make it look like they are wearing stockings I heard.  But I didn't fact check that so it maybe just a legend.

Anyway the hairlessness suggests youth and that is the advantage IMO.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on April 14, 2011, 02:02:07 PM

It was done during rationing during WWII to make it look like they are wearing stockings I heard.  But I didn't fact check that so it maybe just a legend.

And they used to use tea to dye their legs. Wacky 1940's dames.

Throughout the ages there have been different cultures that have shaved. Has to be more then just stockings.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Ideologue

Quote from: Valmy on April 14, 2011, 02:02:07 PM

When do women first get hair on their legs?  Is it not, like, around the same time as menarche?  Which is to say, around twelve or thirteen? : /
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

derspiess

Quote from: Ideologue on April 14, 2011, 12:59:37 PM
Quote from: derspiess on April 13, 2011, 05:48:17 PM
Re: the ad, I really don't give a shit, but it seems pretty obvious that she pushed his "favorite color" of hot pink on him. 

Before Tommy was born, I was a little worried my wife would turn him into a big wuss.  Argentine men tend to be kind of effeminate, and I thought she might try to raise him in that mold.  Plus, she grew up in a female-dominated house and that's pretty much all she knew until we got married.

Little did I know that one of her biggest pet peeves would turn out to be little boys who act like sissies :D

note to teh gayz: none of the above has anything to do with sexuality, so don't even go there.

That's right!  Enforce those rigid gender roles!

If anything, I'm having to put the brakes on some of Tommy's masculine tendencies, lest I end up with broken windows, holes in the wall, etc.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on April 14, 2011, 02:18:28 PM
When do women first get hair on their legs?  Is it not, like, around the same time as menarche?  Which is to say, around twelve or thirteen? : /
Didn't you guys have sex-ed in school?

You see, there's this phase called 'puberty'...
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ideologue

Quote from: Neil on April 14, 2011, 02:23:33 PM

They were rhetorical questions. :unsure:

The point is, if it's hairless (or only vellus hair) there, the indication is that she's an adolescent.  It's a bit of an ephebophilic response, if Valmy is correct.
Kinemalogue

Malthus

In this case, though, it would be socially stigmatizing to *not* wear pink.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on April 14, 2011, 02:31:47 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 14, 2011, 02:23:33 PM

They were rhetorical questions. :unsure:

The point is, if it's hairless (or only vellus hair) there, the indication is that she's an adolescent.  It's a bit of an ephebophilic response, if Valmy is correct.
Ephebophilia is extremely common, especially because it's been so heavily cultivated by our culture.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

I think the fact that hair collects sweat and thus stink probably has a lot to do with it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 14, 2011, 06:40:23 PM
I think the fact that hair collects sweat and thus stink probably has a lot to do with it.

Well, that's why I shave my armpits.  Why doesn't everyone?

Quote from: NeilEphebophilia is extremely common, especially because it's been so heavily cultivated by our culture.

I get accused of it all the time just because I like skinny chicks.  It's a bummer.
Kinemalogue

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on April 14, 2011, 06:44:18 PM
I get accused of it all the time just because I like skinny chicks.  It's a bummer.
Probably jealous faggots.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue