News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Minsk Metro Bombing

Started by jimmy olsen, April 12, 2011, 08:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Don't think we had a thread on this when it happened last week. Who do you guys think did it and why? :hmm:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13057610

Quote12 April 2011 Last updated at 23:19 GMT

Belarusians struggle to explain metro station blast
People light candles at a memorial to those killed in the metro station blast (12 April 2011) Mourners gathered at a memorial by an entrance to the metro station

Belarusians are groping to find an explanation for the massive explosion that ripped through a metro station in Minsk, killing 12 people and injuring more than 200, earlier this week, reports David Stern.

Belarus is on high alert after what officials now believe was a terrorist attack.

They say a bomb went off at close to 1800 local time, at the height of rush hour, in the Oktyabrskaya station - one of Minsk's busiest.

The explosive device, which was packed with nails and ball-bearings, and was equivalent to 5kg of TNT, was placed under a bench on the platform, they add. It may have been detonated by remote control.

The Interior Minister, Anatoly Kuleshov, said the aim of the assailants was to "kill as many people as possible".
Memorial

On Tuesday, mourners gathered by the entrances to the metro station, where a spontaneous memorial had sprung up.

Every few moments someone would step forward to lay a flower on one of the numerous rapidly rising piles, or to light a votive candle.
A woman stands outside the metro station in Minsk (12 April 2011) People stood as if rooted to the ground, facing the metro station

In a recess off the street, there was a more formal shrine - six white boards with the names of those killed simply printed on them. In front was a low, red platform where an even bigger pile of flowers was growing.

The crowd, which sometimes grew to a couple hundred, was for the most part silent.

People stood as if rooted to the ground, facing the makeshift monument, their faces etched with disbelief.

"I am in shock," said Lidiya Vintskevich, a journalism student who works at a local radio station. "I can't believe that something like this could happen in our town, we are so small."

The Belarusian security services, which are still known by their Soviet-era acronym, the KGB, said a composite photo of the possible perpetrator was now being circulated.

"The man is of non-Slavic appearance, up to 27 years old, and well-built. He was dressed in a brown coat and a woollen hat," KGB chairman Vadim Zaitsev said, adding that the suspect could have been hired to place the bomb.

The country's deputy state prosecutor also said that several people had been detained, but did not provide any further details.
'No sense'

Belarus has come under increasing political and economic pressure in past months.

The United States and European Union slapped harsh sanctions on the Belarusian government, after it clamped down on the country's opposition following presidential elections last year.
President Alexander Lukashenko chairs a meeting in Minsk (12 April 2011) President Lukashenko has promised to turn Belarus "inside out" to find those responsible

President Alexander Lukashenko and other top officials were forbidden from travelling to the West.

Meanwhile the country's central bank is running out of hard currency, and many analysts are predicting a steep devaluation of the currency, the ruble.

President Lukashenko already governs what is considered Europe's strictest authoritarian state. Many Belarusians do support him, however, in part in gratitude for the stability and law and order that he provides.

Mr Lukashenko has promised to turn Belarus "inside out" to find those responsible.

In comments just after the blast, he also said that it could have been an attempt to destabilise the country, and was possibly a "present from abroad".

Many Belarusians are nevertheless at a loss to imagine who would benefit from such an attack.

"I can't imagine why anyone would do this," said Stepan, a local businessman who asked not to use his last name. "I can't imagine what they would gain or what they hoped to achieve. It makes absolutely no sense."
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Who the fuck cares?

If I were to bet, I would say this is probably Lukashenko's own doing, as his control has been slipping lately (he has dropped down from 189% to 136% approval rating in polls).

Berkut

QuoteMany Belarusians are nevertheless at a loss to imagine who would benefit from such an attack.

"I  can't imagine why anyone would do this," said Stepan, a local  businessman who asked not to use his last name. "I can't imagine what  they would gain or what they hoped to achieve. It makes absolutely no  sense."

If this was Muslim terrorists, they aren't very smart.

Belorussia != Spain.

There is no real election coming up. Pointless.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

JonasSalk

Discontented Polish minority activists?
Yuman

Norgy

QuoteThe man is of non-Slavic appearance

What's that? Slang for good-looking?

jamesww

I guess the Belarus police are getting better, this time they waited until after the bombing, before arresting the perpetrators.  :ph34r: