50 Years Ago Today - First Man In Space - Yuri Gagarin

Started by jamesww, April 12, 2011, 05:08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Neither he nor the CCCP are around anymore.  So it don't count.

Solmyr

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 12, 2011, 08:45:05 PM
Neither he nor the CCCP are around anymore.  So it don't count.

You are just bitter that America was beaten by something that doesn't exist.

Brazen

I have such a crush on Yuri, especially in those stylised Soviet posters. I have vague ambitions to find the best to reproduce on a t-shirt. Suggestions much appreciated. :)

Syt

Quote from: Brazen on April 13, 2011, 04:56:26 AM
I have such a crush on Yuri, especially in those stylised Soviet posters. I have vague ambitions to find the best to reproduce on a t-shirt. Suggestions much appreciated. :)

http://6dollarshirts.com/product.php?productid=11205&cat=0&page=1
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Norgy

One might speculate if he was the first man in space, or just the first man who made it back alive. Soviet safety = not particularly nanny-statish.

jamesww

Quote from: Norgy on April 13, 2011, 01:00:20 PM
One might speculate if he was the first man in space, or just the first man who made it back alive. Soviet safety = not particularly nanny-statish.

But doesn't the evidence show that more Americans have died in space craft launch and return than Russians ?  Or are you going to go all Seigy on me about hidden space race 'facts'.  :P

Martinus

Josquius

I do recall a few years ago there was quite a big deal made of some story of there having been another guy before him who died on return. The story soon vanished though, guess it was proven to be nonsence.
██████
██████
██████

Darth Wagtaros

Then the world trembled at the sound of our rockets. Now it will tremble again, at the sound of our silence.
PDH!

DGuller

I think they have a lot of be proud of in that area, at least when it comes to cosmonaut safety (ensuring observer safety during the test of the rocket is another thing).

Count

I am CountDeMoney's inner child, who appears mysteriously every few years