And we're back!

Main Menu

Victory for feminism - The wage gap is closed

Started by MadImmortalMan, April 12, 2011, 01:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 13, 2011, 04:41:52 PM
Quote from: Malthus on April 13, 2011, 02:20:25 PM
I just pretend not to mind. If Slagos is found in an unlikely accident involving a kitchen cabinet and a folding ruler, you will know the Elders of Zion have taken a terrible vengence for his disrespect.  :menace:

Either that or his company caved in one time too many to Scandinavian political correctness, and hired a woman whose lack of three dimensional design and construction planning had shockingly fatal consequences.

I would have said "shocking and hilariously fatal consequences".  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: merithyn on April 13, 2011, 04:41:32 PM
However, smart companies will also factor in quality of life issues, and as BB said, that will also include stability as those with families are less likely to move away after they've earned some experience.

Heh, like the fact that people with kids are more likely to be chained to the paycheque.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on April 13, 2011, 04:50:06 PM

What about those who can work efficiently and thus work less? :huh:

Not hours; workload. In other words, so long as you're willing to get more accomplished, you should be paid more. If parents can do that from home while on paternity/maternity leave, okay. If single folks can do more, they should be paid more.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: merithyn on April 13, 2011, 04:53:36 PM

Not hours; workload. In other words, so long as you're willing to get more accomplished, you should be paid more.

Mind if I put you through to my boss, so you can explain it to him?   :)
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

merithyn

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 13, 2011, 04:56:04 PM

Mind if I put you through to my boss, so you can explain it to him?   :)

One day, I hope to own my own company. When that happens, I'll be sure to give you a ring. :)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on April 13, 2011, 04:53:09 PM
However, smart companies will also factor in quality of life issues, and as BB said, that will also include stability as those with families are less likely to move away after they've earned some experience.

Heh, like the fact that people with kids are more likely to be chained to the paycheque.  :D

Who are you laughing at?  I'm not the only sole breadwinner on this forum... :yeahright:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Slargos

Quote from: merithyn on April 13, 2011, 04:53:36 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 13, 2011, 04:50:06 PM

What about those who can work efficiently and thus work less? :huh:

Not hours; workload. In other words, so long as you're willing to get more accomplished, you should be paid more. If parents can do that from home while on paternity/maternity leave, okay. If single folks can do more, they should be paid more.

Not every profession can handle or register that kind of efficiency increase though.

Sure, a teacher with a larger class will have more work, but won't be able to do the job as well so output is reduced by increasing the amount of work put in.

A carpenter can work harder or longer hours, and his output will increase, perhaps not linearly and quality may suffer but quantity will measurably increase.

Malthus

The problem is not those willing to work more being paid more - its the exact reverse. The problem is that, at least in the professions, there is no option to work less and be paid less. It is either compete for the big bucks and the big hours, or get out.

This has the natural result from excluding the family-minded from the professions -- unless they are from a traditional-style family, where one parent (usually dad) works, and the other does all the kiddie care.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on April 13, 2011, 04:58:20 PM

Who are you laughing at?  I'm not the only sole breadwinner on this forum... :yeahright:

Um ... myself?

It's a rueful laugh.  ;)

MadImmortalMan

Having a sugar mama isn't always the best either, you know.

...Oh wait, yeah it is.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 13, 2011, 06:29:23 PM
Having a sugar mama isn't always the best either, you know.

...Oh wait, yeah it is.

It's a mixed bag.

MadImmortalMan

Monoriu

However, smart companies will also factor in quality of life issues, and as BB said, that will also include stability as those with families are less likely to move away after they've earned some experience. Ultimately, I think it will all work out as a huge positive for society as a whole, as I said.

This is not the experience of the HK civil service.  We overwhelmingly prefer fresh university graduates with no experience (and therefore most likely are singles).  We tried to recruit people with say 7 or 10 years of experience.  The inevitable result is that most of them leave after 1-2 years.  The fresh grads tend to stay until they retire, which is what the civil service needs. 

Monoriu

This is one way to look at it.  Another way is that singles have no income to fall back on, unlike households with two incomes. 

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Monoriu on April 13, 2011, 08:27:25 PM

However, smart companies will also factor in quality of life issues, and as BB said, that will also include stability as those with families are less likely to move away after they've earned some experience. Ultimately, I think it will all work out as a huge positive for society as a whole, as I said.

This is not the experience of the HK civil service.  We overwhelmingly prefer fresh university graduates with no experience (and therefore most likely are singles).  We tried to recruit people with say 7 or 10 years of experience.  The inevitable result is that most of them leave after 1-2 years.  The fresh grads tend to stay until they retire, which is what the civil service needs.

Translation: People who know what the real world is like refuse to stay in your shitty job.  :P