And we're back!

Main Menu

Victory for feminism - The wage gap is closed

Started by MadImmortalMan, April 12, 2011, 01:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on April 13, 2011, 02:09:57 PM
My point: proven!

I think you fail to understand the concept.

"Letting something go" here means letting the other person off the hook for something they said or did that they later regret, instead of having it brought up again and again so as to torment them.

It doesn't mean a cessasion of one's own horrible bitchery.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on April 13, 2011, 01:01:03 PM
I wondered what he did after he retired from Congress.
*checks* I don't think it's the same guy, sorry. :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: Slargos on April 13, 2011, 02:08:28 PM
I would up the ante and jump on that grenade by adding something really crassly anti-semitic about your kid, but even I have barriers I won't cross.  :hmm:
Malthus doesn't mind the Jew jokes.  Only insecure races get mad when you make jokes poking fun at them. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on April 13, 2011, 02:13:37 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 13, 2011, 02:09:57 PM
My point: proven!

I think you fail to understand the concept.

"Letting something go" here means letting the other person off the hook for something they said or did that they later regret, instead of having it brought up again and again so as to torment them.

It doesn't mean a cessasion of one's own horrible bitchery.  :D

Just because you don't regret your behavior doesn't mean that I didn't let you off the hook. ^_^
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Slargos

Quote from: Caliga on April 13, 2011, 02:14:53 PM
I would up the ante and jump on that grenade by adding something really crassly anti-semitic about your kid, but even I have barriers I won't cross.  :hmm:
Malthus doesn't mind the Jew jokes.  Only insecure races get mad when you make jokes poking fun at them. :)

:huh:

Ah, yes. Joke. That's what I was going to do.  :hmm:

Malthus

I just pretend not to mind. If Slagos is found in an unlikely accident involving a kitchen cabinet and a folding ruler, you will know the Elders of Zion have taken a terrible vengence for his disrespect.  :menace:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on April 13, 2011, 02:17:03 PM
Just because you don't regret your behavior doesn't mean that I didn't let you off the hook. ^_^

Ah yes, that terrible, terrible behaviour.  :hmm:

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on April 13, 2011, 02:21:46 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 13, 2011, 02:17:03 PM

Ah yes, that terrible, terrible behaviour.  :hmm:

Obnoxious. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Slargos

Quote from: Malthus on April 13, 2011, 02:20:25 PM

I just pretend not to mind. If Slagos is found in an unlikely accident involving a kitchen cabinet and a folding ruler, you will know the Elders of Zion have taken a terrible vengence for his disrespect.  :menace:

:(

merithyn

Quote from: Brazen on April 13, 2011, 03:45:36 AM
I have been on an interview panel where the female candidate had children. A middle-aged man on the panel opined she would not be a good match for the job as "she'd probably have to take time off with her kids." I suspect the subject doesn't even come up for male candidates.

Personally, I think therein lies the answer.

I believe that men should be given the same paternity leave that a woman gets in maternity. He, like she, should have ample time to bond with the baby, spend time together as a family unit, and get to know how things will work. I think this will actually solve a number of societal problems, like fathers feeling like less of a parent until the child can walk and talk, divorces from one spouse feeling like the other just doesn't understand, and the "equal" pay thing will continue as time goes on.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Martinus

Quote from: merithyn on April 13, 2011, 04:35:40 PM
Quote from: Brazen on April 13, 2011, 03:45:36 AM
I have been on an interview panel where the female candidate had children. A middle-aged man on the panel opined she would not be a good match for the job as "she'd probably have to take time off with her kids." I suspect the subject doesn't even come up for male candidates.

Personally, I think therein lies the answer.

I believe that men should be given the same paternity leave that a woman gets in maternity. He, like she, should have ample time to bond with the baby, spend time together as a family unit, and get to know how things will work. I think this will actually solve a number of societal problems, like fathers feeling like less of a parent until the child can walk and talk, divorces from one spouse feeling like the other just doesn't understand, and the "equal" pay thing will continue as time goes on.

I agree. This will eliminate not just women, but also breeder males from the career competiion. :shifty:

merithyn

Quote from: Martinus on April 13, 2011, 04:37:48 PM

I agree. This will eliminate not just women, but also breeder males from the career competiion. :shifty:

*shrugs*

Those who work more should be paid more. Those who work less should be paid less.

However, smart companies will also factor in quality of life issues, and as BB said, that will also include stability as those with families are less likely to move away after they've earned some experience. Ultimately, I think it will all work out as a huge positive for society as a whole, as I said.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

The Minsky Moment

Either that or his company caved in one time too many to Scandinavian political correctness, and hired a woman whose lack of three dimensional design and construction planning had shockingly fatal consequences.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Slargos

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 13, 2011, 04:41:52 PM

Either that or his company caved in one time too many to Scandinavian political correctness, and hired a woman whose lack of three dimensional design and construction planning had shockingly fatal consequences.

Oh, I can assure you that as long as I'm alive, my company will entertain only such political correctness as keeps it from being forcibly disbanded. IE no overt nazi tributes on company premises.  :P

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on April 13, 2011, 04:41:32 PM
Quote from: Martinus on April 13, 2011, 04:37:48 PM

*shrugs*

Those who work more should be paid more. Those who work less should be paid less.

However, smart companies will also factor in quality of life issues, and as BB said, that will also include stability as those with families are less likely to move away after they've earned some experience. Ultimately, I think it will all work out as a huge positive for society as a whole, as I said.

What about those who can work efficiently and thus work less? :huh: