News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Can someone recommend me a good Cooking Bible?

Started by clandestino, April 11, 2011, 04:21:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clandestino

I know that there are some amateur chefs around here and I would like to know if you had any literary help on your first steps in the kitchen.

My cooking skills are the ones of the typical bachelor, but being inspired by Anthony Bourdain's show and books, I would like to see what I can do of this new found interest.

I'm not looking for a recipe book, since those can be found everywhere, but of a good (even if expensive) book that would teach me some of the tecniques that I could learn if I invested in a Chef education.

I'm partial towards an English or Spanish book, but could be convinced to redevelop my French skills if necessary.

Thanks in advance :)

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

clandestino

Quote from: Viking on April 11, 2011, 04:28:02 PM
moving in with the gf then?

Apart from that not being an option, we all know that men are better cooks that women. ;)

Quote from: BarristerJoy of Cooking?

I've checked it online and although interesting it seems based on recipes rather than tecniques or ingridients. Am I seeing it the wrong way?

Barrister

Quote from: clandestino on April 11, 2011, 04:35:23 PM
Quote from: Viking on April 11, 2011, 04:28:02 PM
moving in with the gf then?

Apart from that not being an option, we all know that men are better cooks that women. ;)

Quote from: BarristerJoy of Cooking?

I've checked it online and although interesting it seems based on recipes rather than tecniques or ingridients. Am I seeing it the wrong way?

Yes, it is a series of recipes, but it is more than that.  It does give techniques and strategies.  I find it is a useful resources to make some very basic meals.  For example, how to cook a roast, or stuff a turkey.  A typcial cookbook will give you some very specific recipes, but not tell you those kind of basic techniques.

It's not great - it was probably written 60-70 years ago, and while it's been updated it still feels old.  It's also thoroughly North American.  But for what you asked, it's the only thing I can think of.

clandestino

Quote from: Barrister on April 11, 2011, 04:39:14 PM

Yes, it is a series of recipes, but it is more than that.  It does give techniques and strategies.  I find it is a useful resources to make some very basic meals.  For example, how to cook a roast, or stuff a turkey.  A typcial cookbook will give you some very specific recipes, but not tell you those kind of basic techniques.

It's not great - it was probably written 60-70 years ago, and while it's been updated it still feels old.  It's also thoroughly North American.  But for what you asked, it's the only thing I can think of.

Thanks, but I was looking for something more professional so I could get an idea if I should pursue a career in this area or if I should forget it. :)

Savonarola

Quote from: clandestino on April 11, 2011, 04:47:05 PM

Thanks, but I was looking for something more professional so I could get an idea if I should pursue a career in this area or if I should forget it. :)

Le Cordon Bleu at Home:  http://www.amazon.com/Cordon-Bleu-at-Home/dp/0688097502
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Barrister

I don't think you're going to find that kind of information in a book.  :mellow:

Have you ever worked in a restaurant?

I dunno - personally I love cooking shows, cook books, and yes cooking, but I know 100% that is only as a hobby.  Based primarily on my mother in law, but also from stories from other people, being a chef means working some very long hours, almost exclusively nights, and for not very much money.  It is not an area I would want to pursue a career in at all.

DGuller

What's a cooking Bible?  Is that like a cooking wine?

clandestino

Quote from: Barrister on April 11, 2011, 04:50:55 PM
I don't think you're going to find that kind of information in a book.  :mellow:

Have you ever worked in a restaurant?

I dunno - personally I love cooking shows, cook books, and yes cooking, but I know 100% that is only as a hobby.  Based primarily on my mother in law, but also from stories from other people, being a chef means working some very long hours, almost exclusively nights, and for not very much money.  It is not an area I would want to pursue a career in at all.

No, I haven't worked in a restaurant and yes, I guess I can make an idea of how crappy a job working in a kitchen might be.  But at the same time I'm finding myself in need of a technical degree/knowledge so I can improve my employability here, but mainly abroad. And since cooking is a new interest I could check that out before going to other options.

About the pay, I don't know how much an entry level guy working in a kitchen (doing dishes for example) in Europe/US makes, but I find it difficult that the pay, conditions and fulfilment are worse than my current job over here, so I'm feeling adventurous.

@Savonarola: thanks for the reference, I'll check it out.

Oexmelin

You would find a good number of pro books in French, made for those attempting the various concours (pastries, meat, etc.)

One of the easy reference guides for beginner students is La cuisine de référence: http://www.amazon.com/Cuisine-r%C3%A9f%C3%A9rence-pr%C3%A9parations-techniques-fabrication/dp/B001CL8DIW/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1302559699&sr=8-14.

I don't think it has been translated.

Que le grand cric me croque !

clandestino

Thanks Oex.

My French is very poor these days, but being a latin language I guess I can work it out with my old, rudimentar knowledge and a good dictionary by my side.

After all, I was kind of expecting to receive some recommendations in French, being the country that created modern cuisine and all that.

chipwich

Can anyone recommend a cookbook for drooling idiot early 20's bachelors who want to advance beyond the microwave?  :shutup:

citizen k

Quote from: chipwich on April 11, 2011, 05:43:39 PM
Can anyone recommend a cookbook for drooling idiot early 20's bachelors who want to advance beyond the microwave?  :shutup:

That was me until I delved into the above sources.