News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europeans seek new lives in old colonies

Started by garbon, April 10, 2011, 10:28:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Being decapitated by Muslim rebels ain't my thing, personally. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Siege

I don't like latin american culture.
They are far too religious for my taste.
They are like 99.99% catholic and still think jews are evil.

I like Spain and Portugal, though.
I see a huge diference between their mediterranean culture and the latinamerican culture of their old colonial possessions.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Norgy

Antarctica, Spitsbergen, Bouvet Island... yeah, I am not going anytime soon.

Barrister

I hear Spitsbergen is nice this time of year...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Quote from: Siege on April 13, 2011, 02:21:14 PM

I see a huge diference between their mediterranean culture and the latinamerican culture of their old colonial possessions.

Don't know about the rest, but Brazil is pretty good on the jewish angle. They'll kill ya and rob you, but for a whole host of other reasons besides you being jewish.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Norgy

Quote from: Barrister on April 13, 2011, 02:26:15 PM

You shouldn't listen to what the polar bears tell you.

Barrister

Quote from: Norgy on April 13, 2011, 02:43:21 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 13, 2011, 02:26:15 PM

You shouldn't listen to what the polar bears tell you.

Next you'll be telling me raw seal meat isn't good for breakfast, lunch or supper. :rolleyes:

Norgy

It is. Lots of those important saturated fat acids.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 11, 2011, 08:34:23 PM
Quote from: Caliga on April 11, 2011, 09:16:54 AM
Anyway, if I was Portuguese I'd definitely leave for Brazil.  Carnival in Rio Y'ALL :punk:

Enjoy breathing that AIDS air.

Or just getting killed outright.  There are some rural parts of Brazil I'd like to visit, but I have no desire to set foot any any of their big cities.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on April 13, 2011, 02:52:10 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 11, 2011, 08:34:23 PM
Quote from: Caliga on April 11, 2011, 09:16:54 AM
Anyway, if I was Portuguese I'd definitely leave for Brazil.  Carnival in Rio Y'ALL :punk:

Enjoy breathing that AIDS air.

Or just getting killed outright.  There are some rural parts of Brazil I'd like to visit, but I have no desire to set foot any any of their big cities.

My brother and his common law just came back from visiting his girlfriend's family in Salvador and had only wonderful things to say... :unsure:

derspiess

Quote from: HVC on April 13, 2011, 02:27:39 PM
Quote from: Siege on April 13, 2011, 02:21:14 PM

Don't know about the rest, but Brazil is pretty good on the jewish angle. They'll kill ya and rob you, but for a whole host of other reasons besides you being jewish.

Argies generally aren't too deeply religious.  They tend to be anti-semitic, but it's a softer variety mostly limited to jokes & whatnot. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on April 13, 2011, 02:55:50 PM
My brother and his common law just came back from visiting his girlfriend's family in Salvador and had only wonderful things to say... :unsure:

Good for him.  I guess it helps to have friends/in-laws there.  But the generally high crime rate in Brazil + having zero interest in Brazilian culture is enough to keep me away.  I love me some Argentina and I'd like to go to Uruguay ("mini-Argentina"), Chile, and a few spots in Peru.  But the rest of South America = meh.

Barrister

I fully expect having to make the trip to Brazil next year for a wedding, so I'll let you know then. :mellow:

Josquius

I'd love to go to Brazil sometime, after the orient its the place I'd most like to visit atually. The crime though is very off putting.
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on April 13, 2011, 03:10:52 PM
I fully expect having to make the trip to Brazil next year for a wedding, so I'll let you know then. :mellow:
if you're a native English speaker (and don't like Latino) you're pretty good. Just stay in the touristy areas and away from brightly coloured neighborhoods. Seriously, the more brightly painted the houses the more poor the neighborhood.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.