Mythbusters bloke designs armoured vehicle and realistic maimed soldier

Started by Brazen, April 08, 2011, 03:17:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

QuoteAway from the TV cameras, the bangs also have a more serious side: Hyneman has been working with the US government to devise lightweight armor for US military vehicles in Afghanistan and Iraq, all thanks to his work with materials such as TNT and C4 in the frankly unconventional setting of MythBusters.

"We had a lot of experience in the show dealing with explosives, obviously in ways and situations that are outside the norm. This is very revealing, because when you see something outside the norm you get to see what the boundaries of the phenomenon are," Hyneman tells us.

QuoteThis is not Hyneman's first work with the military, however. He also devised a "fully realistic human" robotic avatar to give newbie army medics something realistic to work on, and to help prevent them from freezing up when they see gore in the field for the first time. The MythBuster reckons his avatar is as close to human as it gets: it smells bad, has "real hair", groans, and spurts blood until you successfully apply a tourniquet. The machine is being manufactured "by the dozen" and used for training in the Middle East, he says.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/04/05/mythbusters_explosions/

DGuller

In my next life, I want to be Jamie Hyneman.  The dude is both an ultimate geek, and an ultimate alpha male.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on April 08, 2011, 09:31:04 AM
In my next life, I want to be Jamie Hyneman.  The dude is both an ultimate geek, and an ultimate alpha male.

:x
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

Do you even wonder what it would be like to service him?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Berkut on April 08, 2011, 09:38:53 AM

I didn't before, but now that's got me wondering.  Thanks for putting that in my head. :angry:

Gah, talk about "mustache rides."
Experience bij!

DGuller

:hmm:  No, not really.

Brazen

I always used to think they were a pair of gay bikers.

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on April 08, 2011, 09:44:09 AM

:hmm:  No, not really.

I guess that means he is at least one stop below Obama in the DG alpha male pecking order then? :o

0 rows returned

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on April 08, 2011, 09:46:12 AM
I guess that means he is at least one stop below Obama in the DG alpha male pecking order then? :o
Saying that you want to be someone doesn't mean you want to blow someone.  When your son says that he wants to be a firefighter when he grows up, it means he wants to have a hose in his arms and wear a hat.

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on April 08, 2011, 10:08:48 AM
Quote from: Berkut on April 08, 2011, 09:46:12 AM
Saying that you want to be someone doesn't mean you want to blow someone.  When your son says that he wants to be a firefighter when he grows up, it means he wants to have a hose in his arms and wear a hat.

How did this become about wanting a hose in your arm...oh, never mind.

0 rows returned

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

HVC

I think Berk is a little too into the DG blowing people meme. it's gettting a little creepy lol
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on April 08, 2011, 10:31:24 AM
I think Berk is a little too into the DG blowing people meme. it's gettting a little creepy lol

Creepy? More like endearing.

Hey, it's spring. Romance is in the air!

;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius