News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Games based on real military sims

Started by Brazen, April 06, 2011, 09:16:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Brazen on April 06, 2011, 09:16:11 AM
Do you know any military games that are based on real military sims? Likewise do you know any games where aspects have been incorporated into military sims as they're more realistic that the armed services can manage?

BCT Commander, loosely based on the US Army's JANUS engine. Real-time combined arms simulation.
http://www.shrapnelgames.com/ProSIM/BCT/BCT_page.html

ProSIM makes quite a few of these civilian-grade simulators based on mil-spec software.
http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Our_Games/Our_Games.html

Yer welcome.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on April 06, 2011, 11:27:18 AM
Quote from: Brazen on April 06, 2011, 10:14:29 AM
Anyway, this is what my question was apropos of. Download and play test a new submarine sim game for DARPA. Let me know what you think.

https://actuv.darpa.mil/
This is an interesting concept.  I know that heuristic modelling of sub and ASW tactics was starting to be a big thing fifteen years ago, but didn't see this coming.

Also interesting to see where the stealth surface ship concept has gone.  We didn't consider an unmanned version when I was on the project.

Dangerous Waters by Sonalysts was a fantastic open-source model by a game company created by people who left the defense industry to make games.  Fucking 3 credit course required for fucking plotting the TMA.  And never mind the sonar broadband, narrowband and SSA.

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 06, 2011, 05:38:45 PM
Dangerous Waters by Sonalysts was a fantastic open-source model by a game company created by people who left the defense industry to make games.  Fucking 3 credit course required for fucking plotting the TMA.  And never mind the sonar broadband, narrowband and SSA.
Sonalysts is a defense contractor.  Worked with them for years.  They were the best in the business at modeling sonar equipment and underwater acoustics.  They were crap for tactics and strategy, but that's where my company came in.  Dangerous Waters was just a model of theirs without any of the classified values.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on April 06, 2011, 06:11:15 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 06, 2011, 05:38:45 PM
Sonalysts is a defense contractor.  Worked with them for years.  They were the best in the business at modeling sonar equipment and underwater acoustics.  They were crap for tactics and strategy, but that's where my company came in.  Dangerous Waters was just a model of theirs without any of the classified values.

It was serious fun, though.  I particularly enjoyed splashing the P-3.

Siege

Games nerds to me!

Do you know any military games that are based on real military sims? Likewise do you know any games where aspects have been incorporated into military sims as they're more realistic that the armed services can manage?

I've read about several in the past and can't remember a single one :(

Yes it's for work.

No, I can't pay you.

Oh, you can pay.

What's your body weight and height?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Brazen

Quote from: Siege on April 07, 2011, 01:17:46 AM
Oh, you can pay.

I'm 50% too heavy, 20% too tall and 60% too old for you. I could put you across my knee and break you like a twig.

katmai

Quote from: Brazen on April 07, 2011, 03:06:16 AM
Oh, you can pay.

I'm 50% too heavy, 20% too tall and 60% too old for you. I could put you across my knee and break you like a twig.

I'll pay you if you do.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

Quote from: katmai on April 07, 2011, 04:52:07 AM
Oh, you can pay.

I'll pay you if you do.

I'll double that.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jamesww

Games nerds to me!

I've read about several in the past and can't remember a single one :(

Yes it's for work.

No, I can't pay you.

I know its not strictly relevant, but you could add a bit of padding to the item, by mentioning HGW's Little Wars being based the german thing, Kreigsmeir (whatever, you guys know what I mean)

Siege

Oh, you can pay.

You cannot suck my twig, babe. No matter how hard you try.
I am unsuckable. I dare you to try.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Maximus

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.