News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Games based on real military sims

Started by Brazen, April 06, 2011, 09:16:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

Games nerds to me!

Do you know any military games that are based on real military sims? Likewise do you know any games where aspects have been incorporated into military sims as they're more realistic that the armed services can manage?

I've read about several in the past and can't remember a single one :(

Yes it's for work.

No, I can't pay you.

Josquius

Americas Army has done this a bit hasn't it?

Sure there were some flight sims way back when too...
██████
██████
██████

Brazen

Think I've got the key one - Operation Flashpoint was used in military simulator VBS 1 and 2.

Slargos

Quote from: Brazen on April 06, 2011, 09:22:25 AM
Think I've got the key one - Operation Flashpoint was used in military simulator VBS 1 and 2.

That was my first thought. An extremely frustrating game. Spend half an hour walking to a truck, getting shipped out on patrol, spend another 15 minutes walking around only to get shot by a sniper without even getting your safety off.  :lol:

Legbiter

Check out Operation Flashpoint. Only FPS I've ever really gotten into.

*EDIT* Ah, already mentioned.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Legbiter

Quote from: Slargos on April 06, 2011, 09:24:38 AM

That was my first thought. An extremely frustrating game. Spend half an hour walking to a truck, getting shipped out on patrol, spend another 15 minutes walking around only to get shot by a sniper without even getting your safety off.  :lol:

Glorious game. Still remember when I manged to put an RPG into a Hind's rotor blades as it was descending to land.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Brazen

Anyway, this is what my question was apropos of. Download and play test a new submarine sim game for DARPA. Let me know what you think.

https://actuv.darpa.mil/

Pishtaco

Steel Beasts.

TacOps and Conquest of the Aegean have been used in training, or at least there have been news stories about it. I don't know if it's because they're "more realistic", exactly.

Full Spectrum Warrior was developed alongside of some kind of military training game. Eagle Dynamics (who made Lock On and A10) and Sonalyst (Dangerous Waters) supposedly do military work as well, using stuff from their game engines.

Brazen

I knew you guys would come up trumps, thanks :hug:

Caliga

I vaguely recall reading something about how the old consim Gulf Strike by VG was used by the Pentagon in planning Desert Shield/Storm. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Long time ago but wasnt Harpoon, or some version thereof used?

edit: Wiki says my memory may be faulty - it was designed by a former naval officer.  No mention in wiki about it being used in training.

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 06, 2011, 11:14:13 AM
Long time ago but wasnt Harpoon, or some version thereof used?
The USN looked at it, but realized it had nothing in common with actual warfare at sea, and developed its own game, SimTac.  Alas, the latter was classified because such a huge element of war at sea is EW and that involves lots of sensitive intel.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Brazen on April 06, 2011, 10:14:29 AM
Anyway, this is what my question was apropos of. Download and play test a new submarine sim game for DARPA. Let me know what you think.

https://actuv.darpa.mil/
This is an interesting concept.  I know that heuristic modelling of sub and ASW tactics was starting to be a big thing fifteen years ago, but didn't see this coming.

Also interesting to see where the stealth surface ship concept has gone.  We didn't consider an unmanned version when I was on the project.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Warspite

I believe a British flight sim firm, perhaps the guys that did Tornado and EF2000, did high-level military simulation that the games were in fact based on (though with the more sensitive avionics and performance modelling stripped out).
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA