Main Menu

Cowardly, Stupid, and Tragically Wrong

Started by jimmy olsen, April 05, 2011, 06:56:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on April 05, 2011, 11:29:26 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 05, 2011, 10:56:12 AM
Quote from: Kleves on April 05, 2011, 10:02:21 AM
The Scopes Monkey Trial (a misdemeanor trial) was one of the major criminal trials in Western history?  :wacko:

One of the most important, at any rate. Most only affect the people involved.
The Scopes trial didn't even effect the persons involved.  It is interesting as a PR piece, but as a trial it was meaningless.

Well the townsfolk liked it.  It was essentially fabricated to bring business into the town, and everyone fell for it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 05, 2011, 11:21:15 AM
There is no such thing as an Article II court.  I assume the writer meant Article III.  Non article III courts such as administrative tribunals or military courts are sometimes referred as Article I courts (because established by Congress under Article I powers) but not Article II.

Overall, I am pretty impressed on the ability of the OP writer to cram so much faulty information and poor reasoning in such a short presentation.

Slate again. It's getting predictable.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

DGuller

Here is the piece I referenced earlier regarding military courts.  http://www.usnews.com/usnews/news/articles/021216/16justice.htm  Of course, I'm not well-versed in the details of military court system, so maybe what this article talks about doesn't apply to the kind of trials terrorists would be facing.  The story focused on the justice, or alleged lack of it, afforded to US soldiers accused of crimes.

grumbler

Quote from: Razgovory on April 05, 2011, 11:33:30 AM
Well the townsfolk liked it.  It was essentially fabricated to bring business into the town, and everyone fell for it.
Exactly.  The PR element was interesting, but the popular conception of how the trial ended and who one is mostly wrong, from what I have read.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: frunk on April 05, 2011, 10:03:45 AM
The article only very briefly mentions that Congress made it impossible for the Administration to try KSM in the US.  It doesn't even seem to argue that Obama should try to get this overturned.   I'm assuming the author wants Obama to try KSM in the US illegally?

How did Congress do this?

Admiral Yi

Huh, never heard about that.  Thanks.

Although the first link says the provision expires in September of this year.

Eddie Teach

The Scopes trial didn't even effect the persons involved.  It is interesting as a PR piece, but as a trial it was meaningless.

Can we agree that it was more important than OJ Simpson at least?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 05, 2011, 07:03:14 PM

Can we agree that it was more important than OJ Simpson at least?

I don't know... The scopes trials inspired A film.  The OJ Simpson trial killed the Naked Gun series.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017