News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Cowardly, Stupid, and Tragically Wrong

Started by jimmy olsen, April 05, 2011, 06:56:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frunk

The article only very briefly mentions that Congress made it impossible for the Administration to try KSM in the US.  It doesn't even seem to argue that Obama should try to get this overturned.   I'm assuming the author wants Obama to try KSM in the US illegally?

Berkut

LOL. I suspect the article is some kind of false flag operation. Something that stupid and tragically wrong could not possibly be meant to actually convince anyone of anything.

Military trials are "junk law"? How interesting...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Did the author really, I mean really, use the Nuremberg War Crimes trials as an example of non-military tribunals and how much better off the world is because they refused to use such things?

Serisously? Nobody is really THAT stupid...are they?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 05, 2011, 09:58:26 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 05, 2011, 09:22:09 AM
I thought this was going to be about me. :(

I don't think you are stupid. You fixate on political ideology way too much however.

I come from a family of politicians.  Most of them were also Cowardly, and Tragically wrong as well.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Kleves on April 05, 2011, 10:02:21 AM
The Scopes Monkey Trial (a misdemeanor trial) was one of the major criminal trials in Western history?  :wacko:

One of the most important, at any rate. Most only affect the people involved.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 05, 2011, 10:56:12 AM
The Scopes Monkey Trial (a misdemeanor trial) was one of the major criminal trials in Western history?  :wacko:

Not really, it was simply the prosecution of a State law.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on April 05, 2011, 08:35:38 AM
Quote from: Neil on April 05, 2011, 08:01:48 AM
Is Khalid Sheikh Mohammed a US citizen? 
QuoteNo person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

I don't see any reference at all to 'citizen' unless you think non-citizens are not persons.  Canadians = subhuman scum?

Refusing due process to people for being non-citizens is against US law.
Quotenew classes of citizen

This is what I was quoting, not some obscure passage from some backwards legal tome.  Quit trying to Martinus.

Besides, military trials aren't 'refusing due process'.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Minsky Moment

There is no such thing as an Article II court.  I assume the writer meant Article III.  Non article III courts such as administrative tribunals or military courts are sometimes referred as Article I courts (because established by Congress under Article I powers) but not Article II.

Overall, I am pretty impressed on the ability of the OP writer to cram so much faulty information and poor reasoning in such a short presentation.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on April 05, 2011, 10:07:33 AM
I read the article in the US News and World Report some years back which basically made military tribunals look like kangaroo courts, so there may be something there.  Of course, the fact that people are comfortable with American soldiers being subjected to kangaroo courts, but not suspected terrorists, is a bit puzzling.

DGuller

The larger issue, though, is the undeclared war.  I'm sure people would be much more comfortable with enemies being tried in military tribunals, and even executed like many were in WWII, if only the definition of the enemy was much more clearly defined.  "War on Terror" is a bit more vague than war against Germany or Japan.

KRonn

Quote from: DGuller on April 05, 2011, 11:22:58 AM
Quote from: Berkut on April 05, 2011, 10:07:33 AM
I read the article in the US News and World Report some years back which basically made military tribunals look like kangaroo courts, so there may be something there.  Of course, the fact that people are comfortable with American soldiers being subjected to kangaroo courts, but not suspected terrorists, is a bit puzzling.

:yes:

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 05, 2011, 10:56:12 AM

The Scopes trial didn't even effect the persons involved.  It is interesting as a PR piece, but as a trial it was meaningless.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on April 05, 2011, 11:22:58 AM
I read something sometime that made all trials in the US look like kangaroo courts.  Of course, I wouldn't use that as an argument here, because "I read something, so there may be something there" is an asinine argument.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller