News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Backup / Sync

Started by Oexmelin, April 04, 2011, 03:02:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oexmelin

What do you use for backup and synchronizing external drives? Is Windows 7 backup programme worth anything?
Que le grand cric me croque !

derspiess

Backup-- Windows Home Server, managed from the server side.  I keep my music & pics synched with SyncToy.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Darth Wagtaros

Window's backup isn't terrible. And its free.  You want to make an image of your primary drive for restorations or just back up data?
PDH!

Oexmelin

I want to back up data - tens of thousands of pictures of old papers, and a few hundred text files. I want to synchronize music and those text files, mostly because I might not remember which of them I have modified during the course of a day.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Darth Wagtaros

Perhaps a commercial software like suresync then. 
PDH!

derspiess

The free SyncToy program from MS should cover the sync part.  Use Windows backup for your system files & you're set.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

viper37

Quote from: Oexmelin on April 04, 2011, 07:35:55 PM
I want to back up data - tens of thousands of pictures of old papers, and a few hundred text files. I want to synchronize music and those text files, mostly because I might not remember which of them I have modified during the course of a day.
I use Nero Back-it UP, it came with the Nero Suite.
But I heard great things about this one, inspired by Apple's Time Machine.  There's a free trial so you could download it and see.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.