News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on June 30, 2016, 10:20:00 PM
I wonder in the real Middle Ages, was "Blow up the Pope" really a viable option.
They had no wildfire cache under the Vatican.

They usually preferred getting the Pope on their side or naming their own Pope, or later becoming a sort of Pope.
Besides, the Pope was popular elsewhere too, not just in Rome.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Hamilcar

If that scene is from GRRM, then it's undoubtedly inspired by the Gunpowder Plot.

viper37

Remember, remember the 5th of November.

Outside of the middle ages, though, so not an option for Raz's question.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

The Europeans had gunpowder by the end of the 13th Century, which is still the Middle Ages.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josephus

Looks like we'll have to wait a long longer for next season...and it's gonna be shorter.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/07/18/game-thrones-season-7
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

It's ok, these things are like babies, they come when they come.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Hamilcar

I'll go off on a limb here that the delay is due to GRRM promising to get TWOW in before the agreed date. I'll also predict that he won't meet this new deadline.

Josephus

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 18, 2016, 06:05:08 PM
It's ok, these things are like babies, they come when they come.

You would know :lol:
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Quote from: Hamilcar on July 18, 2016, 07:14:52 PM
I'll go off on a limb here that the delay is due to GRRM promising to get TWOW in before the agreed date. I'll also predict that he won't meet this new deadline.
Winter is here.  They need to shoot in winter, so they can't start now.

Hamilcar

Quote from: viper37 on July 18, 2016, 08:07:36 PM
Winter is here.  They need to shoot in winter, so they can't start now.
They don't shoot in actual winter.  Shooting in real snow and ice is *very* challenging.

Razgovory

Yeah, the Soviets found that out.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

I seriously doubt that. The first part anyway.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Hamilcar on July 18, 2016, 08:09:56 PM
They don't shoot in actual winter.  Shooting in real snow and ice is *very* challenging.
"Now that winter has arrived on Game of Thrones, executive producers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss felt that the storylines of the next season would be better served by starting production a little later than usual, when the weather is changing," Carter Bloys, president of HBO programming, said in a statement. "Instead of the show's traditional spring debut, we're moving the debut to summer to accommodate the shooting schedule."`

Some of the scenes beyond the Wall were shot outside, IIRC, in late Fall/Winter.

I know it is very expensive, and that's likely why this will be a 7 episode season instead of 10, for the same costs.

grumbler

The explanation I read was that the delay and fewer episodes was because of the skyrocketing time needed for post-production of these much-more-CGI episodes in the last two seasons.  HBO would have paid the additional costs, but there was no way to get around the production time issue.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Phillip V

Maybe each episode will have a longer runtime.  :)