News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hamilcar

The GoT twitter account just sent this out: https://twitter.com/GameOfThrones/status/747896544536465409
I suppose the "R" part of "R+L=J" is now secure as well.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on June 28, 2016, 09:08:06 AM
Well the posthumous birth of the oldest son is a pretty rare occurrence. There probably is but I cannot think of one.

Jean le Posthume, my francophilic friend.  Only lived a few days, however, unless you believe the Druon novels.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on June 28, 2016, 03:23:33 PM
Quote from: viper37 on June 28, 2016, 03:18:10 PM
it was easier for boys, they knew they could keep a mistress on the side without too much trouble.  Harder for the girls.

Sure? Though of course many women did also have lots of affairs. I was not saying gender equality reigned. I was just talking about choice in marriage.
A women who falls pregnant while her husband is at war would look very suspicious ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Berkut on June 28, 2016, 03:27:45 PM
Yeah, I like where it went, but there is a part of me that finds it hard to believe that they would all be all that gung-ho over Jon.

They don't know him, they have no personal relationship to him, quite honestly the way the previous episode went they really ought to be questioning his competency, and the basic idea of a independent northern kingdom has to be looking a lot less compelling.

Hell, if you buy into the idea of the White Walkers coming, and independent North is actually a pretty terrible idea.
Well, they had no love for the Boltons, they just did not want to risk anything in a lost battle, according to them.

Now that Jon Snow won, the details may be sketchy for those who weren't there.  All they know is, he won, and Ramsey Bolton is dead.

Most of them have lost people to the Lannisters and the Freys and the Boltons.  The Boltons are no more.  They have nothing to expect from the Lannisters, the last time the Wall asked for help, they did not respond.

So if they buy into the theory of the White Walkers coming, Jon and an independant North are practically their only choices.  Swearing fealty to the Crown means they will have to send troops in the South sooner or later to help the Lannisters when they call for help.  They are effectively reducing their strenght by not declaring independance.  And signing for those who masterminded the execution of their brother, sister, mother, father, aunt, cousin, etc.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Berkut on June 28, 2016, 03:35:46 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on June 28, 2016, 03:31:26 PM
Quote from: Berkut on June 28, 2016, 03:27:45 PM
They don't know him, they have no personal relationship to him, quite honestly the way the previous episode went they really ought to be questioning his competency, and the basic idea of a independent northern kingdom has to be looking a lot less compelling.

Hell, if you buy into the idea of the White Walkers coming, and independent North is actually a pretty terrible idea.

It might look terrible if you are solely accounting on them needing aid from the other Kingdoms to keep the White Walkers at bay.  But that would be discounting the generations of pride, the religious differences, and the immense cultural gulf between the North and the other Kingdoms.  Basically, I think there are a lot of intangibles that go into the appeal of a King in the North rather than just being under the thumb of King's Landing.

And the fact that they'll soon hear of Queen Cersei the Incinerator, First of Her Name, means they aren't going back on that one any time soon.

True - one thing that has changed since they declared Rob is several years of war and total chaos in the south. Well, in the north as well of course.

This could certainly make a lot more sense if their meeting happened right after getting a raven detailing the Mad Queen's latest moves...

I really want to see how Jaime reacts. He has to be thinking "WTF, I killed a king for contemplating what my sister just did..."
The ruling council of King's Landing knew Myrcella had been killed by Dorne and the ruler of Dorne had been killed by these same people.  It's reasonable to assume the North is also aware of this.  They are also likely aware of tensions between the new religious leader who has the King's ear and the population that does not worship the Seven gods.

So, from the North's point of view, war is brewing again, and the situation is far from stable.  Better to keep the troops home.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on June 28, 2016, 04:58:33 PM
A women who falls pregnant while her husband is at war would look very suspicious ;)

They seemed to know how to do it without getting preggers. Or at least not as often as one might think.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Apparently what Lyanna whispered is "his name is aegon".
I see why they silenced that part out.  Show watchers would have been super confused.
██████
██████
██████

Siege

Quote from: Habbaku on June 26, 2016, 06:17:15 PM
Predictions for tonight:

[spoiler]R+L=J confirmed.
New Queen in the North (Sansa)
Sept of Baelor go 'splode.
Tommen almost certainly dies.
Little Birds stab Kevan and Pycelle, (possibly even Qyburn?) under the returned-guidance of Varys.
Daenarys finally heads to Westeros with her army.
Melisandre either dies at Jon's behest or performs a miracle to save herself.
Riverlands sees a Frey bloodbath (holding out for some Manderly or show-version of him).
Jaime escapes the bloodbath in the nick of time.
Cersei begins her reign as Mad Queen over the remnants of King's Landing thanks to the power vacuum.
Wall comes down?[/spoiler]

Dude, you are a fuckin genius. Unbelievable how close you were. Some things were telegraphed, of course, but i didn't expect the Frey thing, or Jaime to escape the little water dancer, or Cercei to actually crown herself.

Any ideas when the technological singularity will begin?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

LaCroix

Quote from: Siege on June 29, 2016, 10:57:55 AMSome things were telegraphed, of course, but i didn't expect the Frey thing, or Jaime to escape the little water dancer, or Cercei to actually crown herself.

there were lots of fan speculation throughout the season, and tons of leaks were released periodically throughout the season

Habbaku

Directors for next season announced.  Miguel Sapochnik gets a season off, while Mark Mylod inexplicably gets to helm at least one more episode.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

Quote from: Zanza on June 28, 2016, 11:48:05 AM
It's not really clear if the various undead in the books and TV series are all the same.

There seem to be various classes:
Resurrected by Red Priests (Dondarrion, Lady Stoneheart, Jon Snow)
Resurrected by a fallen Maester (Gregor Clegane)
Created as undead by the Children of the Forest (The Night King and his retinue)
Created as undead by the Night King (the zombies in Hardhome)
Some other status (Benjen Stark/Coldhands)

True, but it makes dramatic sense for Sandor Clegane to kill his brother with fire.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grallon

Quote from: Habbaku on June 29, 2016, 08:57:02 PM
... Miguel Sapochnik gets a season off...

What?  He's the one who made the last 2 fantastic episodes - are they daft?

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Malicious Intent

Quote from: Grallon on June 30, 2016, 06:18:34 AM

G.

IIRC he is working on some new science fiction series this year.

viper37

Quote from: Malicious Intent on June 30, 2016, 08:29:59 AM
Quote from: Grallon on June 30, 2016, 06:18:34 AM

G.

IIRC he is working on some new science fiction series this year.
I see BIOS and Altered Carbon in IMDB.  The latter seems interesting.

Razgovory

I wonder in the real Middle Ages, was "Blow up the Pope" really a viable option.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017