And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Berkut on June 27, 2016, 11:18:10 AM
Euron + Cersei?

Nothing that could stand up to the Dany coalition on land.
Euron would have to use the magic time slips to jumpstart the greatest feat of naval construction since the Essex carriers were built.  And make them out of fireproof wood . . .
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

LaCroix

aren't the final two seasons cut short by a few episodes? cersei falling by episode 3 or 4 leaves enough time to deal with the aftermath before the wall falls and everyone reacts -> end of season. I don't think we're meant to think cersei has a chance against daenerys, more that this was an extremely hollow victory for cersei.

Habbaku

Yes, the last seasons are going to be truncated.  One of the directors confirmed next season was only 7 episodes.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Larch

In the books Euron claims to have the magic horn to control dragons, I wonder if they'll pull that off next season...

Habbaku

Quote from: The Larch on June 27, 2016, 11:30:40 AM
In the books Euron claims to have the magic horn to control dragons, I wonder if they'll pull that off next season...

I doubt it.  We'll get summoned krakens, instead.   :menace:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

grumbler

Quote from: Habbaku on June 27, 2016, 11:29:06 AM
Yes, the last season are going to be truncated.  One of the directors confirmed next season was only 7 episodes.

I recall reading that season 7 was going to be eight episodes, and season 9 was going to be seven:  fifteen total episodes to go.

The reason stated was the long production times (lots of dragon time, walker time, and wildfire CGI, is my guess).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

Quote from: Berkut on June 27, 2016, 11:16:11 AM
So we have the long anticipated reveal that Jon is the son of Rhaegar and Lyanna. So that is good....but...

How is it going to be revealed to anyone other than Bran? Assuming Bran even gets to Winterfell, why would anyone believe him?

The only person who was there who is still alive is Howland Reed, and even he doesn't seem like a very convincing eyewitness to anyone not inclined to backing Jon anyway...

Curious to see how this comes out...

From a claim standpoint, he is still a bastard though, right? If a bastard has a claim, one would think Gendry would be a viable heir at this point....what in the hell every happened to him anyway?

My extremely uneducated guess at one possibility: at some point or other Jon gets burnt by dragonfire, only he remains unscathed due to his heritage. That would seem a pretty solid indication.

Berkut

Quote from: Jacob on June 27, 2016, 11:59:24 AM
So we have the long anticipated reveal that Jon is the son of Rhaegar and Lyanna. So that is good....but...

How is it going to be revealed to anyone other than Bran? Assuming Bran even gets to Winterfell, why would anyone believe him?

The only person who was there who is still alive is Howland Reed, and even he doesn't seem like a very convincing eyewitness to anyone not inclined to backing Jon anyway...

From a claim standpoint, he is still a bastard though, right? If a bastard has a claim, one would think Gendry would be a viable heir at this point....what in the hell every happened to him anyway?

My extremely uneducated guess at one possibility: at some point or other Jon gets burnt by dragonfire, only he remains unscathed due to his heritage. That would seem a pretty solid indication.

I was thinking maybe as an explanation for why the dragons tolerate him?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Jacob

Quote from: Berkut on June 27, 2016, 12:03:00 PM

Yeah, something like that. "The proof is in the dragons," as the old saying goes.

Phillip V

Quote from: Habbaku on June 27, 2016, 11:20:34 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 27, 2016, 11:17:49 AM
From a claim standpoint, he is still a bastard though, right?

Correct Dany has the better claim, OTOH Targs have a history of sibling marriage . . .

Jon likes redheads, though.  :hmm:

Jon's other sibling.  Lots of shots this episode of Jon+Sansa = Ned+Cat

Habbaku

Well, it's either the cousin-who-thinks-he's-her-brother or the aunt-who-doesn't-know-they're-related.

Incest is wincest.  :yeah:

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

If Bran shows up, it could be that he finds someone who is no relation at all...but turns out to be his twin sister!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Josquius

I guess the tree where bran was dropped off is the one just north of the wall where Jon said his vows.
Don't think getting to winterfell will be an issue. 

Though   coldhands really should have hung around until they were safely through.  Pfff .

I wonder how they'll deal with bran, the legal heir, showing up. I doubt they will cover it much and will just shrug it off for more important things
██████
██████
██████

KRonn

Quote from: Jacob on June 27, 2016, 12:05:34 PM
Quote from: Berkut on June 27, 2016, 12:03:00 PM

Yeah, something like that. "The proof is in the dragons," as the old saying goes.

Hmm, good possibility. I was wondering how Jon's heritage would play out and that's one idea. He's King in the North now and gaining banner men and while that would probably be enough for him, it's likely that he'll go further.