News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 26, 2016, 06:30:44 PM
You have been pretty accurate all the way along.  I don't have any guesses myself.  I just hope that we get a good finale after the last few episodes.

To be fair, the show has been pretty clear about telegraphing a lot of my predictions.  And some of my others are events that have already come about in the books, and now's the proper time for them.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

grumbler

Predictions:

Sansa and Littlefinger combine forces (that's why he got the King to name him Warden of the North if he could take Winterfell, because the Knights of the Vale will honor that designation); that's why she conspired to see Jon's army mostly killed rather than tell him reinforcements were coming).  That's the big plot twist for the night, because neither Sansa nor Littlefinger understand the threat from the Night King. Sansa and Littlefinger announce their planned marriage.

Tommen dies at the hand of "Robert Strong;"  maybe Tommen threatens Cersei, but more liely the High Sparrow tricks him into it, and Strong reacts before Cersei realizes what is happening.  She burns the Great Sept of Baelor in her grief and anger using wildfire (or maybe Qyburn does so thinking that that is what she wanted).

Danerys sets sail for Westeros.  Euron is waiting, though.

Bran returns to the Tower of Joy and discovers that R+L=J.  Credits roll.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

I think it is too early for Arya to come back and waste the Freys, but would welcome it.  I think they are plot armored against her return, but would welcome Manderley-style rebellions.

I think it is too early for the Wall to fall.  I think it will fall at the end of the seventh season.  I think two seasons of the White walkers killing everyone we like in the north is bad TV.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on June 26, 2016, 06:39:04 PM
The battles during the Wars of the Roses era most certainly had plans for the most part, it was the sticking to those plans that proved difficult.  There was a lot of maneuvering and positioning of troops and tactical skill used by commanders on both sides before battles and occasionally in battle.  Considering that was one of the main eras used by GRR to draw inspiration from, I think it is relevant.
I think all battles in the Middle Ages had plans.  As you say, those plans often proved difficult to implement due to poor communications.  The modern conceit that medieval commanders were idiots who didn't understand planning is just that: a conceit.

Bayraktar!

Kleves

That's how you end a season. :thumbsup:
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on June 26, 2016, 07:42:27 PM
Quote from: Benedict Arnold on June 26, 2016, 06:39:04 PM
The battles during the Wars of the Roses era most certainly had plans for the most part, it was the sticking to those plans that proved difficult.  There was a lot of maneuvering and positioning of troops and tactical skill used by commanders on both sides before battles and occasionally in battle.  Considering that was one of the main eras used by GRR to draw inspiration from, I think it is relevant.
I think all battles in the Middle Ages had plans.  As you say, those plans often proved difficult to implement due to poor communications.  The modern conceit that medieval commanders were idiots who didn't understand planning is just that: a conceit.

You can spin it anyway you want, but you still fucked up at Sluys.  Would have been better if you didn't have a plan.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Wow.  Any question about which episode was the best has been laid to rest.

Bayraktar!

Habbaku

King by acclamation was a nice touch, though I wonder if Sansa will be content with that.  Littlefinger was definitely eye-fucking her the whole time, so I assume there will some scheming next season...
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

HVC

I liked the look on the sparrows face when he realized he miscalculated. Good acting. Great episode. Didn't like the arya part though. Came out of nowhere.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Habbaku

How long do you guys think Cersei will be Queen?  Two episodes?  Three?   :D

-J. R. R. Tolkien

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Grallon

Episode 10 is downloading now - yet I predict I'll have more fun watching this than the idiot Euro-nostalgics are having ranting and raving about Brexit.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Habbaku

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Sophie Scholl

Pretty solid with the predictions, Habbaku.  If only for payoff and cinematic appearance it was a solid episode.  I do wish there were a few more twists.  Oh well.  The plotlines are condensing and the action has burned away the book slowdown.  Next season will be the true test of the show writers.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

crazy canuck

Very good episode.  It was ruined a bit by putting Varys on the ship at the end.  I guess he had his teleport machine safely in the hold.

Now that the new Three Eyed Crow knows Jon is not Ned's bastard the scene of him being made King of the North was all the more satisfying.  The actress who played that role did very well.

Knew that girl was Arya right away because she was so out of place.  That is the only thing I didnt like about the story.  She can go anywhere and kill anyone - why does the rest matter?