News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

I thought they were just making a point - emphatically.

The books at least stress that dragonfire is hotter than regular fire, akin to that green napalm shit.

I am guessing a pretty short blast would start any wooden ship on fire rather quickly. Certainly enough to take it out of combat immediately.

In this case, they actually used the concussive power to actually not just burn the ship, but demolish it. Again, they were trying to make a point to the rest of the fleet - don't bother fighting, don't bother running, you all have a new employer.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Martinus

Quote from: Berkut on June 20, 2016, 08:58:33 AM
Another thing - the idea that someone is going to shoot a fleeing man with an arrow at any kind of range? Stupid. Not possible.

Ok, Xeno.  :rolleyes:

LaCroix

Quote from: Berkut on June 20, 2016, 01:57:22 PM

The books at least stress that dragonfire is hotter than regular fire, akin to that green napalm shit.

I am guessing a pretty short blast would start any wooden ship on fire rather quickly. Certainly enough to take it out of combat immediately.

In this case, they actually used the concussive power to actually not just burn the ship, but demolish it. Again, they were trying to make a point to the rest of the fleet - don't bother fighting, don't bother running, you all have a new employer.

how much fire do you think those dragons had left after their attack, whether it was intentionally emphatic or they were blowing their load?

Berkut

Quote from: LaCroix on June 20, 2016, 02:23:17 PM
Quote from: Berkut on June 20, 2016, 01:57:22 PM

how much fire do you think those dragons had left after their attack, whether it was intentionally emphatic or they were blowing their load?

No idea - but given the reports throughout history of the power of a dragons in combat, I've never heard any issue with them "running out" before the fight was over.

Of course, when you have a gigantic fucking dragon breathing fire on you, it is very possibly that the fight is over before you find out how long they can go.

On the other hand, Harrenhall was made of stone, and largely destroyed by dragonfire - it actually melted and made the stone "run like wax". So I am guessing that if dragons have enough fire to pretty much destroy the largest stone castle in all of Westeros, they have enough to handle pretty much any number of wooden ships.

0 rows returned

LaCroix

Quoteremember, we haven't seen any indication that these are fully grown dragons. they're still children.

The Brain

Dragons are not "children". They're younglings.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

It did take the dragons a hell of a lot of effort to burn one fucking ship.

Berkut

Quotewe haven't seen any indication that these are fully grown dragons. they're still children.

So? You have no idea how fully grown they are, or what their capabilities are, or any of that. For all we know they could go one spitting fire all day long. Or maybe that was all they had.

The only data points we DO have is that dragons have never been reported to have any significant shortage of dragonfire such that it is militarily relevant. We know that dragons vary in size greatly - Dany's black if pretty damn big already (almost certainly larger than many dragons that came before him), and is certainly "military-sized" in that she is capable of riding him and using him.

Why people insist that they know things they cannot possibly know in an effort to excuse any lazy writing is beyond me...you can love the show and still recognize that the writing is far from perfect.

0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 20, 2016, 02:50:12 PM
It did take the dragons a hell of a lot of effort to burn one fucking ship.

It took them a lot of effort to destroy one ship quickly and thoroughly. The effort to simply start one on fire was equal to just the single initial blast. You can tell because the ship started right on fire immediately...:P

0 rows returned

LaCroix

we know they're like three years old or around there. we've seen how much fire a baby dragon can breathe (a tiny flame). we also have no reason to believe that dragons, while mystical creatures, have a magical, infinite supply of fire to breathe

The Brain

Maybe they have plot amounts??? :o

Mind. Blown.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

Another thing - the idea that someone is going to shoot a fleeing man with an arrow at any kind of range? Stupid. Not possible. Fuck Rickon, run in anything other than a perfectly straight line and the shot becomes basically impossible.

First thing that came into my head in that scene was Peter Falk shouting "serpentine!"
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

LaCroix

Quote from: The Brain on June 20, 2016, 02:58:01 PM

Mind. Blown.

you clearly don't know dragon physics  :rolleyes:

Berkut

Quote from: The Brain on June 20, 2016, 02:58:01 PM

Mind. Blown.

Of course they do - but lacroix knows better, and insists that they only have as much as you see them breathe and no more, because they are just toddler dragons.

0 rows returned

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 20, 2016, 02:58:51 PM
Another thing - the idea that someone is going to shoot a fleeing man with an arrow at any kind of range? Stupid. Not possible. Fuck Rickon, run in anything other than a perfectly straight line and the shot becomes basically impossible.

First thing that came into my head in that scene was Peter Falk shouting "serpentine!"

:lol:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017