News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Zanza

Especially when the question was who was the most famous before Game of Thrones. Sophie Turner didn't have a single acting credit to her name before GoT.

Josquius

Quote from: Brazen on June 16, 2016, 03:17:32 AM
Help me settle an argument at work. Which Game Of thrones actor was the most famous before they were on the show? My entirely UK-centric shortlist is:

Charles Dance, Sean Bean, Diana Rigg, Jonathon Pryce, Ian McShane, Richard E Grant, Mark Gatiss and Jerome Flynn.

I've probably forgotten more than I remember.
100% Bean.
Charles Dance a distant second. He's one of those guys where most will see him and go "Saw him in something before...." but wouldn't be able to connect the dots.

Richard E Grant I guess is up there with Bean but he's just a minor recent role on the show, cheating a little to include him.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

For me, it was Sean Bean, then Lena Headey and Charles Dance. Also Aiden Gillen, because of The Wire. That's for when the show debuted, of course. Then they added people like Jonathan Pryce and a boatload of the Rome cast, which are pretty familiar faces.

Habbaku

I have to admit, I don't really have high hopes for tonight's episode.  Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised, but while the combat scenes will surely be well done and amazing, I suspect the narrative beats are going to be pretty predictable.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

grumbler

HBO Now has completely collapsed tonight.  50 minutes into the show, it is unwatchable on the internet stream ("HBO NOW has run into a problem. -4000").   They are practically begging people willing to pay for the service to steal it instead, since stealing it is as fast as paying for it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

HVC

In the end Bolton wasn't wrong when he said he was a part of Sansa now. And I wonder what price she'll have to pay for the aid of little finger
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Habbaku

The Dreadfort sub-Reddit is a laugh riot right now.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

grumbler

57 minutes into the show, it is available.

The battle was kinda crap. 

Bayraktar!

Jaron

Overall a good episode, but I was disappointed with the lack of development in Arya's arc.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

LaCroix

Quote from: grumbler on June 19, 2016, 10:15:27 PMThe battle was kinda crap.

why do you think this? vale knights saving the day?

viper37

Quote from: LaCroix on June 19, 2016, 10:28:10 PM
Quote from: grumbler on June 19, 2016, 10:15:27 PMThe battle was kinda crap.

why do you think this? vale knights saving the day?
we knew it was coming, but I liked it anyway.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

LaCroix

Quote from: viper37 on June 19, 2016, 10:33:11 PMwe knew it was coming, but I liked it anyway.

:yes:

great episode all around

Jaron

One of the things that makes grumbler who he is is the fact he can never be wholly satisfied with anything except Babylon 5.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Grallon

Somebody should tell Grey Worm he's not allowed to have such a fine thick package for a eunuch!  Dam!  :licklips:

I already love the fact they pursue this story-line before moving on to the northern story.  Now I'm going back to it.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel