News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Coster-Waldau was already one of the biggest stars we have here, so naturally him for me.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Brazen

Quote from: The Larch on June 16, 2016, 03:42:26 AM
Sean Bean for sure, he was the main draw for the show when it was launched after all.
Which was why it was so groundbreaking and shocking when he dies so early on, setting the tone for the rest of the series.

The Larch

Quote from: Brazen on June 16, 2016, 04:39:22 AM
Quote from: The Larch on June 16, 2016, 03:42:26 AM
Sean Bean for sure, he was the main draw for the show when it was launched after all.
Which was why it was so groundbreaking and shocking when he dies so early on, setting the tone for the rest of the series.

Yup, and it really launched the "Sean Bean dies in every show he's in" meme.  :lol:

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on June 15, 2016, 09:39:36 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 15, 2016, 04:43:39 PM
The author's/showrunner's willingness to knock off characters is one of thing that gives the story edge.  But its reached the point in both where every time there is a death I have to ask myself is he/she maybe dead or dead dead.  That's not a good thing.

I quite agree, but don;t agree that these resurrections are signs of the "plotting ability of writers (book and tele) getting weaker."  At least some of these resurrections were planned from the start, so the weakness was always there.  The show had to show Dondarron resurrected so the Jon resurrection (the key one) wasn't so deus ex machina.  Mercifully, the show hasn't done more than that (the Mountain wasn't necessarily even resurrected so much as he was prevented from dying by "mad science").  Lady Stoneheart was completely unnecessary and the show wisely skipped her.

In the books, I feel as you do.  The whole resurrection thing makes death kinda meaningless.

It isn't just literal resurrection though - the Hound was figuratively resurrected as well. Insofar as he was apparently dead, then not dead.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

viper37

Quote from: Brazen on June 16, 2016, 03:17:32 AM
Help me settle an argument at work. Which Game Of thrones actor was the most famous before they were on the show? My entirely UK-centric shortlist is:

Charles Dance, Sean Bean, Diana Rigg, Jonathon Pryce, Ian McShane, Richard E Grant, Mark Gatiss and Jerome Flynn.

I've probably forgotten more than I remember.
Sean Bean and Lena Headey for me.  Had no idea who were the others, though I later recognized Charles Dance from a few of Simon Pegg's hilarious comedies.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Siege

That chick from the Terminator TV show with the ghey John Connor.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Habbaku

Help me settle an argument at work. Which Game Of thrones actor was the most famous before they were on the show? My entirely UK-centric shortlist is:

Charles Dance, Sean Bean, Diana Rigg, Jonathon Pryce, Ian McShane, Richard E Grant, Mark Gatiss and Jerome Flynn.

Seen Been, definitely.  Or Shaun Bawn.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on June 16, 2016, 07:47:10 AM
It isn't just literal resurrection though - the Hound was figuratively resurrected as well. Insofar as he was apparently dead, then not dead.

I never for a moment thought he was dead, so the fact that he wasn't dead (apparently) didn't bother me at all. 

I am hoping that there is a plot point to the rumor of his death, but it wouldn't totally surprise me to discover that it was just GRRM fucking around.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Diana Rigg was the best-known name to me. From The Avengers show, but also because I saw her multiple times on stage in London.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on June 16, 2016, 02:46:37 PM

Diana Rigg was the best-known name to me. From The Avengers show, but also because I saw her multiple times on stage in London.

She looked familiar but I didnt know why until just now.  I loved her in the Avengers. 

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Siege

That chick playing the hott chick in the new X men movie.

grumbler

Quote from: Siege on June 18, 2016, 10:19:14 PM
That chick playing the hott chick in the new X men movie.

You really think that a woman whose name you cannot remember is more famous than Sean Fucking Bean?

Bayraktar!

Siege