News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

That's how I remember the book, but I can't say I really care either way.

Berkut

Quote from: Tamas on June 15, 2016, 08:48:39 AM

IIRC, in the books they kept him hidden away pretty much all of the time, didn't they?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

In the books, he is fairly public as well, but the secret of his identity is held more by a conspiracy of silence than anything.  Many people (Kevan Lannister, for instance) suspect who he really is, but keep their mouths shut due to the need for Cersei to win her trial by combat.  I think it's a bit less obvious in the books that he's a zombie--in the show, the armor they have him in deliberately allows the audience to see his eyes and the creepy skin-tone he's sporting to make him more menacing.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Brazen

One theme I picked up on is that we now have at least two formerly dead (not zombified) characters brought back to life by crap magicians who thought their power was on the wane and seemed surprised by their own success. Is magic getting more powerful because Winter Is Coming or White Walkers or Dragons? Is the fact dragons are back due to the increased magic, whatever the cause? Was there someone else present at the resurrections actually doing the magic?

I suspect these less dead than they were individuals will prove critical - immune to White Walker touch for example. As will the wielders of Valyrian steel and dragonglass weapons.

Solmyr

On the show they pretty obviously know that he is The Mountain, as they called him that several times. There's no "Robert Strong" on the show.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Brazen on June 15, 2016, 10:19:57 AM
One theme I picked up on is that we now have at least two formerly dead (not zombified) characters brought back to life by crap magicians who thought their power was on the wane and seemed surprised by their own success. Is magic getting more powerful because Winter Is Coming or White Walkers or Dragons? Is the fact dragons are back due to the increased magic, whatever the cause? Was there someone else present at the resurrections actually doing the magic?

I suspect these less dead than they were individuals will prove critical - immune to White Walker touch for example. As will the wielders of Valyrian steel and dragonglass weapons.

Not so much magic getting stronger as plotting ability of writers (book and tele) getting weaker.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Habbaku

:huh:  How is resurrecting Jon a sign of the plot getting weaker in the books?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

grumbler

Quote from: Habbaku on June 15, 2016, 10:59:27 AM
:huh:  How is resurrecting Jon a sign of the plot getting weaker in the books?

Agreed, especially when Jon joined the Night Watch in Book 1/Season 1, and thus was planned to die and be resurrected from the get-go (as the only means by which he could get out of his Night's Watch obligations).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Killing and resurrecting anyone is suggestive of dubious writing.  It's a way to get the dramatic effect of a death without the cost of losing the character.  Doing it once gets a pass.  More than once, not so much.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Zanza

It's a clear theme in the books that magic is making a comeback in the world. It is stated as such by one of the Maesters of the Citadel, by Melisandre, IIRC by Euron (?), by someone in Qarth, etc. It has always been one of the overarching themes of A Song of Ice and Fire.

Siege

Quote from: Berkut on June 15, 2016, 08:53:03 AM
Quote from: Tamas on June 15, 2016, 08:48:39 AM

IIRC, in the books they kept him hidden away pretty much all of the time, didn't they?

But in the TV show, just because the audience can see his zombie eyes in a close up take doesn't mean the characters in the show can see it.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

I like to think of all magic as misunderstood technology.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

viper37

Quote from: Brazen on June 15, 2016, 10:19:57 AM

in the books, they link it to the arrival of the dragons.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Siege on June 15, 2016, 01:22:59 PM
I like to think of all magic as misunderstood technology.
Are the Gods a misunderstood technology?

In the show, Melisandre has hinted that most of what she does are tricks and potions.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 15, 2016, 11:25:33 AM
Killing and resurrecting anyone is suggestive of dubious writing.  It's a way to get the dramatic effect of a death without the cost of losing the character.  Doing it once gets a pass.  More than once, not so much.

Yeah, I thought that was a known weakness in the book series.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.