News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Razgovory

I kinda hope we are going somewhere with reintroducing the Blackfish and then killing him off in the next episode.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

grumbler

Quote from: Josephus on June 14, 2016, 09:16:38 AM
this entire season's been kind of ...meh. Hard to believe the story plotting has gotten worse since  they strayed from the books. And very little nudity too. :mad:

It probably isn't coincidental that the show writers are having problems at exactly the point where GRRM had so many problems that he basically stopped writing this for a while.

It is always harder to bring a story back to the main threads than to continue to expand the story threads.  Decisions have to be made. Options have to be closed off.  That's obviously very hard in this case.

What I don't like about the show writing is their insistence on building up to climaxes and then just dropping them (as I didn't like the Quentyn Martell storyline that GRRM trotted out, just to kill him when it could have been interesting).  Arya's plot armor (really?  She survived that because someone had a bandaid?) was the worst case of this, but the whole Dorne storyline could have been dropped without anyone missing it, as well.

This episode had some bad moments, more of them than any episode I can recall in the series, but it also had some of the best moments in the series.  Sandor Clegane was only better in the inn fight (face it:  the line "I understand that if any more words come pouring out of your cunt mouth, I'm going to have to eat every fucking chicken in this room" will never be topped, and the shout-out in this episode was hilarious), Brienne with Jaime was brilliantly done, and "I choose violence" was the only time I actually rooted for Cersei or The Mountain. 

I'd have preferred it if Jaime understood the need to send reinforcements north and his discussion with Edmure was to get Edmure's agreement to send the Blackfish and Edmure's retainers north (that is what I was expecting, frankly, and the actual resolution of the Blackfish story was a total damp squib, which could only be worse if he smuggled himself out with Brienne -  hell, I was half-expecting Jaime to send Bronn with them, which would have been really fun!).  I'd also have preferred it if Arya had been saved in some less pedestrian way (though I couldn't think of a way for her to survive short of drinking from the MFG well).

The show's problems stem from them following GRRM too closely to this point, not from them not having a story from this point forward.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Siege

They should have killed Arya already.
I mean, by this point who really cares?
The show might have even been better without her character at all. The only thing really relevant to Westeros she ever did was to witness the beheading of Ned Stark, and that could have beeen easily been done from Sansa s point of view. She was there.

The Minsky Moment

They kind of Grand Old Duke of Yorked her.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: Siege on June 14, 2016, 07:17:52 PM
They should have killed Arya already.
I mean, by this point who really cares?
The show might have even been better without her character at all. The only thing really relevant to Westeros she ever did was to witness the beheading of Ned Stark, and that could have beeen easily been done from Sansa s point of view. She was there.

Disagree.  Arya now dispels all plot armor for anyone on her list.  How does Cersei die?  I'd give 70% odds that Jaimie kills her, but the other 30% is Arya.  How does Walder Frye die?  80% Arya.  And so forth.  She is plot-armor-killer made manifest.  A deus ex machina.  I'll bet she stole some faces to help her.
She won't end up living happily ever after, except that, at her death (maybe killing Walder Frey), she will warg to her direwolf, and live on as a killer.  That's the kind of bittersweet ending the show will dish up.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Siege

But she haven't been having the wolf dreams as in the books.

Siege

Ser Robert Strong, didn't that sparrow penetrated his armor too easily? Couldn't tell if it was some sort of armor piercing weapon, but it looked too broad headed to be armor piercing. That was not a warhammer .

Berkut

It was a spiked mace - basically something rather specifically designed to penetrate plate.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

I do think it is rather funny that the Sparrow is so very worried about who was fucking who, but apparently rather obvious necromancy is not really worth worrying too much about.

0 rows returned

Grey Fox

I don't think it's obvious to him.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Berkut

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 15, 2016, 08:28:42 AM

I think it is pretty obvious to everyone. It's not like they are keeping him hidden away.

0 rows returned

Tamas

Quote from: Berkut on June 15, 2016, 08:35:20 AM

I think it is pretty obvious to everyone. It's not like they are keeping him hidden away.

It is obvious for the eye witnesses of that fight now, but apart from that, AFAIK nobody even knew, or knows now, that he is the Mountain.

Berkut

Quote from: Tamas on June 15, 2016, 08:41:50 AM
Quote from: Berkut on June 15, 2016, 08:35:20 AM

It is obvious for the eye witnesses of that fight now, but apart from that, AFAIK nobody even knew, or knows now, that he is the Mountain.

WTF?

Who do they think he is then? Robo-knight?

Kingsguard knights don't just spring into being out of nowhere without anyone noticing or commenting. Especially not seven foot tall ones.

0 rows returned