News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

It's entirely possible the Hound returns next episode, however.  I would say even likely. The title episode is almost certainly a reference to Septon Meribald from the books, and I think the Hound will be hanging with him if we see them.

GET HYPE
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on May 31, 2016, 07:08:43 PM
She wanted to go to Westeros, but not to rule it.
She wasn't heir.

She abandons even the idea of returning to Westeros after her husband and baby die.
She orders Mirri Maz Duur bound to Drogo's funeral pyre and places the three dragon eggs around his corpse, then announces to Drogo's remaining followers that she is freeing those who were enslaved, and will lead them all to glory if they chose to follow her. She offers to Aggo, Jhogo and Rakharo the traditional gifts of a khal to his bloodriders; each refuse, saying that to serve as bloodrider to a woman would shame them, but Daenerys ignores their objections. Ser Jorah accepts her offer, and she names him the first of her Queensguard.

Again, at this point, she has no army and no navy.  But she considers herself a queen and she promises great things to her followers, just like she did in last week's episode.
This implies intent, but lack of means.

If we go a little further, before she learns of Robert's death, we got this:
QuoteShe and the remains of Drogo's khalasar are stranded in a desolate area known as the Red Waste. They dare not turn toward the Dothraki Sea, the cities of Slaver's Bay, or even Lhazar, for the group would have made easy prey for any Dothraki khalasar they encountered. Dany chooses instead to follow a red comet that had appeared in the sky following the hatching of her dragons; although the Dothraki view the comet as a foreboding omen, Dany believes that it heralds her own rise to power.
So, she believes a comet heralds her own rise to power, but she has no intention to rule.  She names her closest follower first of the Queensguard, but she has no intent to become a queen.  Very curious behavior.
http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Daenerys_Targaryen

QuoteUntil Qarth, when she learns about the war, and decides to throw her own hat in the ring.
Nope, way before that.  But in Qarth, she hopes to have the means of her ambitions.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

My alternate Arya theory is that the long lost dancing master jumps out from behind a curtain and duels the shit out of everyone.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 01, 2016, 02:47:26 PM
My alternate Arya theory is that the long lost dancing master jumps out from behind a curtain and duels the shit out of everyone.
There is a theory that this man is the same as Jaqen H'ghar.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Habbaku

Quote from: viper37 on June 01, 2016, 03:04:48 PM

And it's just as dumb as a hundred other theories out there.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Minsky Moment

They are all Yi.  It is known.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

Quote from: Habbaku on June 01, 2016, 03:20:52 PM

And it's just as dumb as a hundred other theories out there.
Maybe.  But with a dude that can change his appearance at will, who knows?

Habbaku

Yes, I'm sure Syrio got himself thrown into a cart and just knew someone would save him from certain death inside of it, solely so he could watch over Arya, who he knew would be coming along any moment now.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

viper37

Quote from: Habbaku on June 01, 2016, 04:02:06 PM
Yes, I'm sure Syrio got himself thrown into a cart and just knew someone would save him from certain death inside of it, solely so he could watch over Arya, who he knew would be coming along any moment now.
He could have tried to escape later, even had time to change his identity, but still got caught in King's Landing for something else.

Not really important anyway, one day, we'll see if Yi's theory is the right one or not :)

The Larch

I believe it has been confirmed at some point that Syrio is definitely dead.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Larch on June 01, 2016, 04:56:01 PM

I don't remember this.

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 01, 2016, 04:57:07 PM
Quote from: The Larch on June 01, 2016, 04:56:01 PM

I don't remember this.

Not in the show or in the books but in some interview.

Admiral Yi

You watch the nerds every week, don't you? :lol: