And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phillip V

Quote from: Jaron on May 30, 2016, 01:09:33 AM
http://imgur.com/gallery/5WMdv/new

Might be interesting for y'all. Someone broke down Bran's visions frame by frame for your enjoyment.

I was underwhelmed by the Mad King.

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Phillip V

Quote from: Jaron on May 30, 2016, 01:49:32 AM
Why sir?

Comical rather than mad scary.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on May 29, 2016, 11:44:26 PM
I thought Eddard Stark's death was telegraphed.  They even got a crowd to watch.

QED.  He was supposed to confess in return for mercy.  The execution was a last second change in plans.

Martinus

Quote from: Phillip V on May 30, 2016, 01:18:07 AM

Might be interesting for y'all. Someone broke down Bran's visions frame by frame for your enjoyment.

I was underwhelmed by the Mad King.

What I found a bit odd is the young Kingslayer being played by Coster-Waldau (the actor who plays the current Jaime). I know that would probably not make a lot of sense to cast a new character for a short flash back scene, but Jaime was what, 16, at the time he killed the Mad King? So it's not just that he would grow older by the modern times, he would have actually grown bigger.

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 30, 2016, 02:08:29 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 29, 2016, 11:44:26 PM
I thought Eddard Stark's death was telegraphed.  They even got a crowd to watch.

QED.  He was supposed to confess in return for mercy.  The execution was a last second change in plans.

Yeah, saying that one of the top three biggest surprise deaths in Game of Thrones was telegraphed is laughable.

I think Raz thinks the word "telegraphed" means something else than it actually does.

Martinus

Besides, whilst Game of Thrones is "realistic" in terms of characters being in danger of death, it is still a story - and for a story to be good, it needs to fit some narrative purpose.

Killing off Ned Stark served a huge narrative purpose - it in fact set off the entire War of Five Kings, with consequences of this being felt to this day. So any effort that had gone into building up Ned's story line paid off. Killing Arya off at this point* serves absolutely no narrative purpose - and, given that she has really not interacted with any other storyline since she left Westeros - all the time invested into developing her and the Faceless Men would be a total waste of time. It would just be bad storytelling.

*That is not to say she is not doomed in future. But as they say to death in Braavos, not today.

Liep

I liked this episode, but neither fat wannabe-maester or wildling girl is interesting. Oh and Dany's story seemingly is going nowhere until Pilou shows up with a 1000 boats.

Will be looking forward to the reunion at Riverland.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josephus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 29, 2016, 09:38:26 PM
I thought it was a good episode, except the Dany line, which was just filler.  I guess Middle Eastern extras need to eat too.

Best part was the Arya line.  My hunch is it was a test the whole time, which she passed.  Maybe she'll gut blondie, who is actually the one who failed.

I think they're Moroccan, no?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Phillip V

Quote from: Josephus on May 30, 2016, 10:16:58 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 29, 2016, 09:38:26 PM
I thought it was a good episode, except the Dany line, which was just filler.  I guess Middle Eastern extras need to eat too.

Best part was the Arya line.  My hunch is it was a test the whole time, which she passed.  Maybe she'll gut blondie, who is actually the one who failed.

I think they're Moroccan, no?

I would think the group should look more diverse after centuries of raping people.

viper37

yes, they need the dragons and wildfire to defeat the White Walkers.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jaron

What's the point of Sam taking Heartsbane?

Is he still not going to Oldtown? If so, it isn't like his father won't know where to look. Is he just going to send it back to the Wall?

viper37

Quote from: Jaron on May 30, 2016, 02:07:44 PM

Is he still not going to Oldtown? If so, it isn't like his father won't know where to look. Is he just going to send it back to the Wall?
He's going to keep it and bring it with him to the wall when he goes back there.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

Lame ending.
Just noticed Richard E Grant.
Sudden Benjen.
██████
██████
██████

Jaron

Quote from: viper37 on May 30, 2016, 02:41:40 PM
Quote from: Jaron on May 30, 2016, 02:07:44 PM

He's going to keep it and bring it with him to the wall when he goes back there.

How does that work? He'll be at Oldtown for years. Is he going to run to Oldtown and catch a ship back to the wall and skip Maester training?