News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

In what way are they too close for comfort?  The Kingsroad runs directly from the Vale to Moat Cailin.  The Freys holding the crossing that leads to Riverrun is their strength.  They have nowhere near the numbers or the power to challenge an army that the Vale would send north along the Kingsroad.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Martinus

Incidentally, I thought we were previously struggling with finding an equivalent of Donald Trump in Westeros - after last episode he is the King of Iron Islands.  :lol:

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Habbaku on May 23, 2016, 10:07:31 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 23, 2016, 06:20:24 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 23, 2016, 06:18:04 PM
Would again raise the question of the apparent passivity of the Freys.

To play devil's advocate, we know the Twins block passage to the River Lands, but do we know they block passage to the Vale?

They do not.  The Vale has its own road to the North/Moat Cailin--the King's Road.

Which is not far from the Twins.  Freys don't keep some sort of watch on the road?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Habbaku

The distance from the Twins to the Kingsroad is around 100 miles, possibly more (the estimates are rough on this, of course).  The Freys certainly do have patrols on the road, but what of it?  How would they easily block an army--one that is guaranteed to be more powerful than their own--from crossing one of the only major highways?  Their power, as I posed above, is The Twins.  They do nothing but lose if they send their garrisons out to oppose a fresh, unblooded army from the Vale.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on May 24, 2016, 01:16:14 AM
Incidentally, I thought we were previously struggling with finding an equivalent of Donald Trump in Westeros - after last episode he is the King of Iron Islands.  :lol:

We're going to have yuge YUGE ships.  You're not going to believe how many ships we'll have.  We'll have so many ships you won't want to have ships any more.

And that Dany girl - what a looker!  Almost as hot as my daughter.  Almost.  Not like the Lannister broad with the dikey haircut. 

Ok time to be the king now.  Watch how I swallow that seawater!  No one swallows like me! If Hillary Clinton could have swallowed like me, she never would have had those problems will Bill.

Anyway got to go now.  Gotta get those ships built.  And then the wall.  The wall isn't big enough.  The Mexi- I mean wildlings are getting through!  We need a bigger wall.  Who will pay for it?   Others.  Others will pay.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Habbaku

Seriously, Euron's bit at the Kingsmoot was one of the weakest scenes of the entire episode.  He basically played Hillary to Yara/Asha's Bernie.  "We're going to do everything she says, but better!"

The lines he had in the books were much more convincing, especially with the prevalence of looted objects from all his travels, and a supposed magical horn.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Josephus

How did Yara manage to take all the navy with her? Seems like every Iron Islands citizen fled with her.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Zanza

Why would all of the ship crews be loyal to her but all of the other Ironborn loyal to Euron? Why were the ship crews not at the Kingsmoot...? Does not make much sense

Josquius

Euron's guys went to watch the coronation.
Her guys stole the ships.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Her 15 guys stole 50 ships.

Hamilcar

I bet that "origins of the white walkers" flashback is a huge misdirection.

Habbaku

Quote from: Zanza on May 24, 2016, 01:09:15 PM
Why would all of the ship crews be loyal to her but all of the other Ironborn loyal to Euron? Why were the ship crews not at the Kingsmoot...? Does not make much sense

Blame it on sloppy writing (I know I do) or maybe that it will be explained in future episodes (I doubt it).  The Kingsmoot is supposed to be comprised of longship captains (which explains the relatively low numbers in participation) who elect the new king by acclamation.  It's entirely possible that the Yara/Asha-loyal crews, who are not present, were off securing the ships in case of an electoral loss.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Martinus