News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Ok, I missed that she was in the last Terminator movie. /shrug
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: grumbler on May 13, 2016, 02:07:24 PM
Ironically, if you actually look up "A List" at The Hollywood Reporter, sort of the arbiter of these things, the lead article is "'Game of Thrones' Star Emilia Clarke Leads Hollywood's New Actor A-List."

Not sure what purpose is served by debating among yourselves who you think is A List, when none of you actually have a voice in that.  Whatever.
It seems like a fairly decent percentage of the cast is expanding out into feature films, a lot with starring roles in said films.  I presume the trend will continue as the series finishes.  It has definitely been a boon to the careers of those involved.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Admiral Yi

I saw a promo for a series starring the old blond dude in the skirt who has a boner for Daenaryis on BBC America.  Some kind of Alien Nation meets the Werewolf sort of deal.

Zanza

The actress who plays Sansa will be in the next X-Men movie as Jean Grey.

Martinus

Quote from: Zanza on May 14, 2016, 04:51:27 AM
The actress who plays Sansa will be in the next X-Men movie as Jean Grey.

Yup. She seems quite good.

grumbler

Quote from: Habbaku on May 09, 2016, 10:34:26 AM
:unsure:  No, there were only two Kingsguard there.  One got killed early, then it was Dayne fighting off the rest of Ned's men by himself.

Just rewatched that part, and you are correct.  Turns out one of Ned's guys had a helmet, and I had remembered a scene with two helmeted guys down and one still standing, and thought they were all Kingsguard and one just hadn't been shown walking up.

I don't know why they changed the three kingsguard to two.  It's one of several things that I don't understand in the TV adaptation of this event, but I'll bet their reasons made sense to them.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Good episode.  I liked the way Dani got herself out of her jam.  I liked the buddy trek.  I didn't like the way Osha died.  She should have gotten a more dignified sendoff.  I guess the formerly loyal House of Umber has been corrupted by the ring, as this now looks a lot less like a ruse.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

I don't see how her getting killed looks less like a ruse though - couldn't it just be a badly executed ruse?

Actually...yeah, it would be a pretty terrible ruse, wouldn't it? Giving up the only known living male heir to Bolton, when you have to figure there is a 75% chance he just kills Rickon out of hand 5 minutes after you hand him over? Makes no real sense.

Overall, I am really tired of Ramsey. He is a really boring villain. "Gee, I wonder what Ramsay will do? Oh wait, no I don't, he will do whatever is the most horrible possible thing and everyone will keep folllowing him anyway because he has zero depth of any kind!" Yawn.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

Yep.  Ramsay is a typical, boring, Hollywood-style villain.  At least in the books, we get the sense that the house of cards is going to collapse (if not already) around him without Roose around.  Indeed, I am betting on a "The North Remembers"-style betrayal of many of those inside Winterfell against the Boltons in the very near future.

But show-Ramsay wins through no guile, no cleverness, no interesting manner at all.  He just wins because he is the villain.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Jaron

What an AMAZING episode. How many more seasons of this are there again?
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on May 11, 2016, 08:46:09 AM
Better to turn the talent loose to do a, say, 2-3 season TV adaptation of the Mote in God's Eye series.
Ringworld.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

Lucky for Daeny the Khals like to pour barrels of napalm on the floor of their big tent when they meet.

Also, Manse assembled 100,000 Wildling warriors in front of the wall and there's 2,000 left?

LaCroix

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 16, 2016, 12:44:02 AM
Lucky for Daeny the Khals like to pour barrels of napalm on the floor of their big tent when they meet.

:D

she must have some unknown ability to control fire. same thing happened at the pyre, S1. fire swept over it way too quickly. at least there was fuel there

viper37

Quote from: Berkut on May 15, 2016, 10:13:35 PM
Actually...yeah, it would be a pretty terrible ruse, wouldn't it? Giving up the only known living male heir to Bolton, when you have to figure there is a 75% chance he just kills Rickon out of hand 5 minutes after you hand him over? Makes no real sense.
It's either a terrible ruse or it was not Rickon.  It was a plot to send Osha in, to kill Bolton.
Or it was not a ruse at all.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 16, 2016, 12:44:02 AM
Also, Manse assembled 100,000 Wildling warriors in front of the wall and there's 2,000 left?
Where do you get that he had 100k?  I don't think it was that much.

In any event, a lot were killed or injured during the battle by Stannis' forces, a lot retreated north and were decimated by the White Walker's attack.

2000 warriors left out of 100 000 people would be reasonable.  Old people and children don't fight, there are injured&sick folks, and some simply unable to fight (pregnant women, crippled men if they keep any alive, etc).
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.