News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 13, 2016, 09:06:35 AM
Sean Bean, I don't know if I'd say he was A-list in 2010 either. He had a supporting role in Fellowship and had played the villain in a few fairly big movies from 15-20 years earlier.

As for the major cast members, they're getting rather nice money right now, but I haven't seen any breakout movie roles. To become one of Hollywood's elite, they'll need to get casting directors to see them as somebody other than the character they played for 8 years on GoT.

A-list TV is different than A-list "Hollywood."  I'd agree that none of the actors are A-list movie types.  The key cast members are paid in the top tier for TV, though, and that accounts for most of the growth in episode costs.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Yeah, aren't the five primaries getting 300k each per episode now? That is $1.5M per episode just for them alone. And the shows have huge casts for TV shows.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

Sean Bean, I don't know if I'd say he was A-list in 2010 either. He had a supporting role in Fellowship and had played the villain in a few fairly big movies from 15-20 years earlier.

As for the major cast members, they're getting rather nice money right now, but I haven't seen any breakout movie roles. To become one of Hollywood's elite, they'll need to get casting directors to see them as somebody other than the character they played for 8 years on GoT.

Sean Bean stared in "Sharpes Rifles".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on May 13, 2016, 12:05:22 PM

Which scene are you thinking of?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on May 13, 2016, 12:06:48 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 13, 2016, 12:05:22 PM

Which scene are you thinking of?

I think it was the staring one.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jaron

Sean Bean was also in GoldenEye. You don't get more A list than Bond.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Zanza

Quote from: Jaron on May 13, 2016, 01:01:01 PM
The Bond girls almost never become A-listers, it's hit and miss for the Bond actors, and the villains are often established actors, but not A-listers.

Admiral Yi

I wonder if Bean's career has suffered because he can't do an American accent?

Zanza

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Jaron on May 13, 2016, 01:01:01 PM

You get a fair amount of foreigners we've never heard of, though I could see making this argument for Bean in the late 90s. But when he did Game of Thrones, he'd been doing lower profile work for the past decade.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

To me a list is only the true big super stars.
Tom cruise and Brad Pitt and the like.
Sean Bean.... b at best. Maybe c.
██████
██████
██████

Berkut

That whooshing sound is the point rushing over your heads.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on May 13, 2016, 01:33:00 PM

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

We get that the shows have become more expensive to make; discussing who's on the A-List still passes the time.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 13, 2016, 02:00:06 PM

We get that the shows have become more expensive to make; discussing who's on the A-List still passes the time.

Ironically, if you actually look up "A List" at The Hollywood Reporter, sort of the arbiter of these things, the lead article is "'Game of Thrones' Star Emilia Clarke Leads Hollywood's New Actor A-List."

Not sure what purpose is served by debating among yourselves who you think is A List, when none of you actually have a voice in that.  Whatever.

Bayraktar!