And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

All questions answered

Quote from: Siege on May 10, 2016, 04:17:53 PM
Did the valyrians make suits of armor out of valyrian steel?

No they subcontracted to Foxconn

QuoteI'm not clear on the technological level of the valyrian freehold.

Level 6

QuoteDid they use chainmail or plated armor?

Yes, or other.

QuoteHow about dragon skin?

Regular hydration and moisturization is recommended.

QuoteWould a dead dragon skin still be useful as leather armor?

Only leather is useful as leather armor.  Things that are not leather are not useful as leather armor.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Jaron

Quote from: Siege on May 10, 2016, 04:17:53 PM
Did the valyrians make suits of armor out of valyrian steel?
I'm not clear on the technological level of the valyrian freehold. Did they use chainmail or plated armor? How about dragon skin? Would a dead dragon skin still be useful as leather armor?

1. No. The reason Valyrian steel weapons are good would not translate well to armor.
2. Valyrians were skilled in metal working and magics.
3. They used chain and plate and wooden/bone armor for their levies.
4. Dragonscale is only effective for dragons because their hides are thick. You'd have to wear a very thick layer of it to get protection and even then would not be as good as plate. A thin layer of dragonscale would be about as good as deerhide.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Martinus

So, an idea has been floating around that with 17 to 27 episodes to go in total, HBO is considering a spin-off, perhaps set during the time of Robert's rebellion. I am not sure though - it could taint the series.

Zanza

Isn't there a spinoff by GRRM himself? The Hedge Knight or so?

grumbler

BTW, who else thinks that the "little birdies" that seem to be defecting to Qyburn are doing so under orders from Varys?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on May 11, 2016, 02:26:58 AM
So, an idea has been floating around that with 17 to 27 episodes to go in total, HBO is considering a spin-off, perhaps set during the time of Robert's rebellion. I am not sure though - it could taint the series.

This was a suggestion from a fan.  I've seen nothing that would indicate that HBO is actually considering it.

I think making it would be a mistake.  Too many characters have a set appearance and sound with the readers, and the actors playing them couldn't plausibly play the same characters when 15 years younger.

A spinoff set in, say the Targaryan Conquest would work better from a casting POV, but who would want to see it?

Better to turn the talent loose to do a, say, 2-3 season TV adaptation of the Mote in God's Eye series.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: grumbler on May 11, 2016, 08:46:09 AM
Better to turn the talent loose to do a, say, 2-3 season TV adaptation of the Mote in God's Eye series.

Why would that need Game of Thrones actors or writers to do?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 11, 2016, 09:08:14 AM
Quote from: grumbler on May 11, 2016, 08:46:09 AM

Why would that need Game of Thrones actors or writers to do?

I give up.  Why?

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

You were the one framing it as a question of one or the other.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 11, 2016, 09:26:02 AM
You were the one framing it as a question of one or the other.

You misread.  If you go back and read what I wrote, I wasn't saying that there were only two choices.

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on May 11, 2016, 08:39:02 AM
BTW, who else thinks that the "little birdies" that seem to be defecting to Qyburn are doing so under orders from Varys?
Would be in character for Varys.  He does say they never fail him.  and reporting about everyone badmouthing the queen is good for business, in Varys case.  It weakens the Lannister's hold on the palace.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Phillip V

Spoiler:  https://m.westeros.org/index.php/Varys#A_Dance_with_Dragons

Martinus

Actually now that you mention that, I think either in this or in the previous episode, Varys does say explicitly something along the lines "I don't trust any men or women, but I always trust my little birds."  :hmm:

Solmyr

I suspect the little birdies [spoiler]will be stabbing Pycelle and Kevan[/spoiler] at some point this season.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien