News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

I don't recall Ned being dishonest in the books.  Rather honest to a fault.  He was even scrupulous about not lying about Snow - "he is of my blood" etc.

Is this a device created by the show or I am just not remembering that part in the books?

Josquius

True.
Though I guess it could just be part of the Jon lie. Though why?

Speaking of lying- bloodraven (why does me phone want to write a A for that?) In a tree for 1000 years?  Hmm....
Though interesting the plan isn't for bran to stay.  Maybe.
██████
██████
██████

Grinning_Colossus

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 09, 2016, 04:39:33 PM
I don't recall Ned being dishonest in the books.  Rather honest to a fault.  He was even scrupulous about not lying about Snow - "he is of my blood" etc.

Is this a device created by the show or I am just not remembering that part in the books?

IIRC, Bran said that he'd heard the story a thousand times, not that Ned had told him the story a thousand times. Ned probably wouldn't want to talk about it, but he'd sound like a hero in the version popular in Winterfell.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Jaron

Ned is honorable to a fault, yes, but willing to sacrifice his personal honor to protect others.

Claiming Jon as a bastard, making a false confession to protect Sansa are too examples of that. He wouldn't do something dishonorable for personal gain though, I don't think so.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Admiral Yi

When I saw the scene I thought Ned had lied about it to protect the reputation of the back stabber.

Though on the other hand I don't really see how back stabbing is dishonorable while attacking 2 guys with 6 is not.

viper37

Ok, Episode 1, I get where they're going with Dorne.

In the books, Dorne is there to provide support for the Targaryen retake of the Iron Throne, Daenerys or the other one.

Since that part was cut in the tv show, they obviously need something to stir up conflict with the Lannisters, to push Dorne into the fight on Daenerys' side.

Now, with Dorian Martel in power, he would have sacrificed the ladies to make peace with the Lannisters, until the right time, because he knows he can't fight them alone.
Obviously, the Sand Snakes believe they can do better, and Tommen will likely be pushed toward declaring war, since they killed his sister.

Eventually, Daenerys will find her way to Westeros, the North will be re-united under the Stark, the South will be a Targaryen-Martel alliance, girl power&all that, and they will squeeze the Lannisters in the center until the Tyrell switch camp, as the Lannister did in the previous civil war.

Now, is it well done?  No, not particularly.  Is it worst than in the books where the author sprang a rabbit out of his hat to find a male heir to the Targaryen family, previously unknown to all?  Nope.

I'm still giving them the benefit of the doubt and want to see how it unfolds.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Habbaku

Quote from: viper37 on May 09, 2016, 11:38:51 PM
Is it worst than in the books where the author sprang a rabbit out of his hat to find a male heir to the Targaryen family, previously unknown to all?  Nope

Jon Connington's Targaryen boy is as much a Targaryen as Jeyne Poole was a Stark.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Eddie Teach

Quote from: viper37 on May 09, 2016, 11:38:51 PM
Now, with Oberyn Martel in power, he would have sacrificed the ladies to make peace with the Lannisters, until the right time, because he knows he can't fight them alone.
Obviously, the Sand Snakes believe they can do better, and Tommen will likely be pushed toward declaring war, since they killed his sister.

Oberyn seemed pretty keen on taking vengeance on the Lannisters before the Mountain tore his eyes out. :bleeding:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

ah, got them mixed up.  Dorian.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Siege

Did the valyrians make suits of armor out of valyrian steel?
I'm not clear on the technological level of the valyrian freehold. Did they use chainmail or plated armor? How about dragon skin? Would a dead dragon skin still be useful as leather armor?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Josquius

What do you call steel from valyria that isn't valyrian steel? :hmm:
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Tyr on May 10, 2016, 04:29:03 PM

Crap.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

Non-Valyrian steel*

*Made in Valyria
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Siege

Oh please.
Don't waste my limited time.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

grumbler

Champagne.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!