News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

No idea if realistic, but Arthur Dayne with two swords looked cool. Didn't make much sense as he was known for his greatsword.

Jaron

Anyone know who the other guy was supposed to be? Ser Stabbed in the Throat.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

HVC

Quote from: Jaron on May 09, 2016, 12:59:59 AM
in the book there were three kings guards. Dayne, the commander, and someone else. So either they merged two guys into one or there someone else in the tower. So, to answer your question, no idea : P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

grumbler

Quote from: Phillip V on May 08, 2016, 11:20:41 PM
I did not think Jon Snow could reach a new level of emo.  A post-death "my friends killed me" kind of emo.

Say what?  All of those who killed him, save Ollie, had been his enemies since he arrived at Castle Black.  I think your emomometer is broken.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: HVC on May 09, 2016, 01:38:28 AM
in the book there were three kings guards. Dayne, the commander, and someone else. So either they merged two guys into one or there someone else in the tower. So, to answer your question, no idea : P

Something Whent was the third guy.  I don't know where you got the idea that they merged anyone; there were three Kingsguard in the battle shown on TV.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Yeah, the fight scene was pretty Holly-lame.

Ser Arthur Dayne was kind of a douchebag, pretty boy, fancypants with his two swords that is just plain fucking stupid.

The show has managed to mostly resist such silliness, it was a bit disappointing someone apparently succumbed to the wanna-be Star Wars combat model.

Could you imagine how fast you would be completely exhausted trying to fight with two full sized longswords? They could have at least made him fight with a smaller off sword if they really wanted something different. That would have been slightly more believable...maybe.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on May 09, 2016, 05:35:44 AM

Ser Arthur Dayne was kind of a douchebag, pretty boy, fancypants with his two swords that is just plain fucking stupid.

The show has managed to mostly resist such silliness, it was a bit disappointing someone apparently succumbed to the wanna-be Star Wars combat model.

Could you imagine how fast you would be completely exhausted trying to fight with two full sized longswords? They could have at least made him fight with a smaller off sword if they really wanted something different. That would have been slightly more believable...maybe.

I agree that the two-sword thing was objectively silly.  What makes it worse, though, is that Dayne was famous for his longsword, Dawn, wielded only occasionally over the last thousand years, because only the worthiest of knights of House Dayne are allowed it.

I've argued before that the show's combat choreographers are boneheads.  This fight was more proof.

The fight was also proof that men who go into battle wearing only leather armor against men in metal armor are idiots.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Oh, and i'll bitch about the lack of shields on the part of all but one of these fighters, too.  Left them with the armor, maybe?

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on May 09, 2016, 06:18:22 AM
Quote from: Berkut on May 09, 2016, 05:35:44 AM

I agree that the two-sword thing was objectively silly.  What makes it worse, though, is that Dayne was famous for his longsword, Dawn, wielded only occasionally over the last thousand years, because only the worthiest of knights of House Dayne are allowed it.

I've argued before that the show's combat choreographers are boneheads.  This fight was more proof.

The fight was also proof that men who go into battle wearing only leather armor against men in metal armor are idiots.

The actor who was playing Ned looked kind of goofy in general. And his costume was incredibly bland, even boring. He was Lord Stark at the time, one of the pre-emiinent knights and Lords of the realm. Now, he is a Stark, so I don't expect to see him in gold plate, but he should probably look like an actual knight.

What is wrong with just field plate, long sword, and shield anyway? Why is that considered not interesting enough? I would think you could choreograph some pretty amazing fight scenes with that...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

Quote from: grumbler on May 09, 2016, 05:05:33 AM
Quote from: HVC on May 09, 2016, 01:38:28 AM

Something Whent was the third guy.  I don't know where you got the idea that they merged anyone; there were three Kingsguard in the battle shown on TV.

:unsure:  No, there were only two Kingsguard there.  One got killed early, then it was Dayne fighting off the rest of Ned's men by himself.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Eddie Teach

I think he fit the main qualification for the part, being instantly recognizable as a younger version of Sean Bean.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Phillip V

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 09, 2016, 10:35:03 AM
I think he fit the main qualification for the part, being instantly recognizable as a younger version of Sean Bean.

Yes, I was very pleased with the younger likeness of Sean Bean as Eddard Stark, even the facial expressions.

The Minsky Moment

They can't even spell "sir" right, you can't expect them to be able to manage proper equipment as well.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

Took me 15 minutes on the internet, 1h15 over the phone, but finally, I managed to get a subscription to HBO, all for 2$/month less than my current bill.  :cool:

GoT is coming.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

Well, Rickon shows up finally. Really not fond of the way they did it though, dead wolfie :(
Wonder if book Umbers will turn out to be cunts too.
Doubt this is all a cunning plot.

Annoying they changed the Tower of Joy to give only 2 guards. Unless one in still inside. Unless they made this change specifically to show its different to the books.

Starks in leather armour- meh. Its just costuming. It's like how helmets or even hats in the cold are so rare. Makes them look distinctive.
Kind of dissapointed in the battle though. Knew it would end with Reed stabbing the guy in the back, but thought there'd be some kind of magic involved.

Though Bran's shock at Ned being beaten then the backstab.... it does set us up very nicely for yet more revelations of history not being how we know it.
██████
██████
██████