And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 03, 2016, 08:30:17 AM
Quote from: grumbler on May 02, 2016, 07:14:48 AM
And what makes as little sense as the evaporating dogs in the Sansa rescue scene is that all of Doran's guards could have been suborned without a single one of them ratting the scheme out to Hotah.  The Martells have, after all, been the reigning dynasty for a thousand years, and surely at least one guardsman would think such a lineage worth preserving, even if his own oaths to the dynasty were somehow made null and void.

If the writers were wise, they'd have an earthquake drop Dorne into the ocean at the start of the next episode.  It is pretty clear that thinking about Dorne makes any writer (including Martin) stupid.

I agree, the Dorne plotline doesn't seem too well thought out. But given the execution of the plot that was shown, I think one has to credit Ellaria as being at least "competent" in her scheming.

What i don't get from the show, and a lesser extent from the books, is what is the *point* of the Dorne storyline? It all seems extraneous to the overall primary plotlines.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Hamilcar on May 03, 2016, 02:07:02 PM
I maintain that Jon Snow's resurrection was a misdirection. Melisandre didn't do anything. Bran is warging him.

How the fuck would Bran warg a dead body?

0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on May 03, 2016, 08:09:54 PM
I maintain that Jon Snow's resurrection was a misdirection. Melisandre didn't do anything. Bran is warging him.

:secret: Hamilcar has been trolling this thread from the time he started posting.  It's been pretty good trolling so far, nice and subtle, but still absurd.  I'm enjoying it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

LaCroix

Quote from: Berkut on May 03, 2016, 08:08:17 PMWhat i don't get from the show, and a lesser extent from the books, is what is the *point* of the Dorne storyline? It all seems extraneous to the overall primary plotlines.

book and show: massive reinforcements right when needed

Admiral Yi

Quote from: LaCroix on May 03, 2016, 08:37:50 PM
book and show: massive reinforcements right when needed

Yeah, the point of Dorne is the same as the point of the Vale, or the Riverlands, or Marjoryland (forget what it's called), or any other land that doesn't have a claimant to the throne. Or the Iron Islands for that matter.  They can either help a claimant, fuck a claimant, or sit out.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 03, 2016, 08:45:09 PM
Yeah, the point of Dorne is the same as the point of the Vale, or the Riverlands, or Marjoryland (forget what it's called), or any other land that doesn't have a claimant to the throne. Or the Iron Islands for that matter.  They can either help a claimant, fuck a claimant, or sit out.

They haven't done any of that so far. I suppose they'd be most likely to assist a Targ (Dany) invasion, but there's been way more Dorne stuff than necessary to establish that.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 03, 2016, 08:51:40 PM
They haven't done any of that so far. I suppose they'd be most likely to assist a Targ (Dany) invasion, but there's been way more Dorne stuff than necessary to establish that.

What has The Vale done?  Even less.  At least Dorne offed a Lannister, and a Lannister henchman.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 03, 2016, 08:55:09 PM
What has The Vale done?  Even less.  At least Dorne offed a Lannister, and a Lannister henchman.

Both times the Vale has been featured prominently, there are central characters passing through. Then it falls back into obscurity. It hasn't really had a plot of its own.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Hamilcar

The Others do exactly that.

Habbaku

No, see, that's magical re-animation.  Completely different from magical animation.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Martinus

Gay of Thrones review of episode 2 is up:

http://www.towleroad.com/2016/05/gay-of-thrones-3/

His take on the Highsparrow and Jaime scene was the best part imo. :D

Jaron

This is the most successful thread Tyr has ever made.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Berkut

Quote from: Hamilcar on May 04, 2016, 12:43:24 AM

The Others do exactly that.

So you think Bran is an Other and Jon is going to come back as a largely mindless zombie?

0 rows returned

Martinus

I think it's a wacky theory. I do think Jon will be somewhat "diminished" from his experience, but it will still be him. So if anything it will be more like Lady Stoneheart thing, where he has a "driving goal" and starts to forget about other aspects of his life.

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on May 04, 2016, 11:11:09 AM
I think it's a wacky theory. I do think Jon will be somewhat "diminished" from his experience, but it will still be him. So if anything it will be more like Lady Stoneheart thing, where he has a "driving goal" and starts to forget about other aspects of his life.

I can understand why people think he is going to be diminished based on the revival stuff we have seen so far, but I can't think of a story reason for this to be true, and bringing back the character as "jon Snow, only not Jon Snow" seems like a recipe for turning off the fans and complicating the writers' lives.  If Jon Snow is only physically back, then all of the character development done for his character is now wasted, because no one knows what is still valid and what is now invalid.

It will be a lot easier on everyone to just have him come back to life, same as before, but no longer in the Night's Watch.  The warg into Ghost can explain why his resurrection is different from the others, and the show can move on.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!