News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phillip V

Another entertaining episode.  While there may be disputes about plot choices, one cannot debate that lots happen these first episodes compared the beginning of past seasons.

Berkut

I knew that Jon was coming back, but I was hoping they made Melisandre's efforts to bring him back more meaningful in some fashion. It was kind of a yawner.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Phillip V

Quote from: Berkut on May 01, 2016, 10:55:37 PM
I knew that Jon was coming back, but I was hoping they made Melisandre's efforts to bring him back more meaningful in some fashion. It was kind of a yawner.

It was a climactic anticlimax.

I began to worry that it would not happen and that just maybe the actors/producers had been telling the truth all along.

Admiral Yi

I expect the killing of papa Bolton will unleash all kinds of unpleasant repercussions.

Always a bummer when the parental advisory doesn't mention nudity.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Martinus

I love how Ramsay destroyed House Bolton.  :lol:

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 01, 2016, 11:32:24 PM
I expect the killing of papa Bolton will unleash all kinds of unpleasant repercussions.

Always a bummer when the parental advisory doesn't mention nudity.

Don't forget he also killed Fat Walda and, assuming Ramsay's legitimisation is revoked, the little lord of Winterfell. I am not sure if inheritance passes through female line in the North, but this at least gives some claim to some Frey somewhere. And while Walder may not care for any of his children and grandchildren, he does care deeply to any dishonor to his house. Ramsay is toast.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: grumbler on May 01, 2016, 09:07:45 PM
I'm not sure the show isn't making the same mistake with Roose that they made with Tywin; those competent scheming characters are scarce as hen's teeth and they can drive the show.  Killing them without need is wasteful.

I don't think there's any shortage. Olenna, Ellaria, Petyr, Varys, Tyrion, Walder Frey... And it's very easy for this show to introduce new characters when needed.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 02, 2016, 12:51:26 AM
Quote from: grumbler on May 01, 2016, 09:07:45 PM
I'm not sure the show isn't making the same mistake with Roose that they made with Tywin; those competent scheming characters are scarce as hen's teeth and they can drive the show.  Killing them without need is wasteful.

I don't think there's any shortage. Olenna, Ellaria, Petyr, Varys, Tyrion, Walder Frey... And it's very easy for this show to introduce new characters when needed.

I wouldn't count Ellaria among "competent schemers". She is more of a Ramsay's school of intrigue. Tywin would have never murdered his lord and relative with his own hands, with many eye witnesses.

Martinus

I guess Cersei's attitude towards Tomman mimics that of many show's fans towards their favourite characters - "I love you but you probably are gonna killed off so I will pretend I don't care". :P

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on May 02, 2016, 01:04:35 AM
I wouldn't count Ellaria among "competent schemers". She is more of a Ramsay's school of intrigue. Tywin would have never murdered his lord and relative with his own hands, with many eye witnesses.

Her scheme looks to have gone off without a hitch. And the people of Dorne love her and the sand snakes. Ramsay looks more vulnerable and his betrayal looks more opportunistic.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

This joke clearly requires more work but I wonder if there are more parallels between Greyjoys and the Kardashian clan. I mean Euron is clearly Kanye and Theon Catlyn.  :hmm:

The Brain

By now every character has been dead at least once, right? "GRRM did not care anymore. Life and death, the same!"
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jaron

Did anyone else think it was Roose who had stabbed the Ramsay?
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 02, 2016, 01:30:05 AM
Her scheme looks to have gone off without a hitch. And the people of Dorne love her and the sand snakes. Ramsay looks more vulnerable and his betrayal looks more opportunistic.

One important vulnerability is that his most important supporters are the Karstarks, who are Starks by blood, and who should, if they haven't already, realize that Rob acted correctly.

On another note, we didn't actually see Stannis die, did we?