News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solmyr

Someone noted on the GoT forums that Thoros of Myr resurrected Berric Dondarrion only after he had lost all hope...

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on April 25, 2016, 05:14:57 PM
I guess the question is: had Melissandre had that amulet on herself in previous seasons? If yes, she is indeed that old. If not, the amulet is a spell to transfer her life powers to Jon.
She had it in every scene except the bathing scene she has with Selyse.  Someone who has watched that scene again posted that it is pretty obvious, in hindsight, that Selyse is seeing her as she really is in that scene, and that explains why Selyse is not jealous of her with Stannis.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Solmyr on April 25, 2016, 06:24:31 PM
Someone noted on the GoT forums that Thoros of Myr resurrected Berric Dondarrion only after he had lost all hope...

Somebody posted that here, as well.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

It is important to note that Thoros was not able to do his resurrection tricks until after his crisis of faith.

Just thought maybe you guys did't know that...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Phillip V

Olly grew fast just one night after killing Jon Snow. :D

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on April 25, 2016, 07:03:25 PM
It is important to note that Thoros was not able to do his resurrection tricks until after his crisis of faith.

Iirc there was a connection between the dragons re-entering the world and magic beginning to work/become more powerful.   If the red woman is really very old and she uses a glamour spell of some sort to make herself look youthful then her magic is perhaps unaffected by the presence of the dragon or a crisis of her faith.

Thoros on the other hand seems to have been directly affected by the dragons entering the world.  He had a crisis of faith but then, after the dragons came back, he was able to do things he had previously not been able to do.  Or am I not remembering that part correctly?

Josquius

Just checked this bathing scene. She is indeed without the amulet. Strange. Can't help but think it might be a mistake as she clearly looks normal there.
The theory that selyse sees her as she is is a good one... but odd they'd show the viewers something different.

Thoros. ... I never saw his crisis as linked with his magic. It seems to me he has never been the best of priests. It was solidly dragon related.
However quite clearly there was magic in the east even without dragons.  And Mel is a lot more powerful than Thoros.
Has it ever been said how long Mel was at stannis' court?
██████
██████
██████

Martinus

Could be the Red Woman remembers the Old Valyria.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 25, 2016, 11:46:42 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 25, 2016, 07:03:25 PM

Iirc there was a connection between the dragons re-entering the world and magic beginning to work/become more powerful.   If the red woman is really very old and she uses a glamour spell of some sort to make herself look youthful then her magic is perhaps unaffected by the presence of the dragon or a crisis of her faith.

Thoros on the other hand seems to have been directly affected by the dragons entering the world.  He had a crisis of faith but then, after the dragons came back, he was able to do things he had previously not been able to do.  Or am I not remembering that part correctly?

She learnt her magic in Ashai didn't she? Could have tapped into a different source of power there. Or perhaps the amulet is centuries old and will work on whoever wears it.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Norgy

Quote from: Phillip V on April 25, 2016, 10:48:17 PM
Olly grew fast just one night after killing Jon Snow. :D

Maybe killing transferred some power to him after he had a crisis of faith?  :hmm:

Josquius

A thought on the amulet given the bath scene.
Maybe instead of being a cloaking device the amulet is simply a magic amplifier?
In the time if dragons Mel is strong. She doesn't usually need it to keep up her glamour. Though recent events have fucked her up a bit and taking off the amulet confirms as she suspected, that she doesnt have the power to keep up the glamour without it.

This would also help to explain how she was able to get into a powerful position even pre dragons
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Or maybe the show people just forgot to write that she was wearing it for that scene because they were not counting on this episode's reveal.  :P

Josquius

Also a possibility.
Though the amulet being magic and her having some sort of glamour and not being what she appears is pretty established from the books.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on April 26, 2016, 04:00:07 AM
Also a possibility.
Though the amulet being magic and her having some sort of glamour and not being what she appears is pretty established from the books.

Yes, in the books it's a heavily implied thing.

Btw, oh Dorne, what a travesty of a plotline they've made of you.

Solmyr

Alexander Siddig was horribly wasted on the show.