News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

How are we treating spoilers in this thread?

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 25, 2016, 12:53:34 PM

I think we assume people have watched the latest episode, and given that the show is no longer anywhere in the books territory, I assume there are no spoilers - just speculations - left.

It's actually kinda refreshing. :)

Grinning_Colossus

Quote from: Martinus on April 25, 2016, 12:49:27 PM
There are so far three main theories circulating about the Red Woman after the last episode:

1. She has always been that old and the show offers a major reveal.
2. All her magic to date has actually aged her and she is almost done.
3. She has started some spell to rez Jon Snow - in a life for life way.

Her ADWD chapter implies that she's really that old, IIRC.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

grumbler

Quote from: HVC on April 25, 2016, 12:30:49 PM
But that's the point. His friends should the the first ones to want to burn John so that he dies t come back as an undead.

But that's the point: in doing so they would be killed. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on April 25, 2016, 12:58:21 PM
Quote from: Martinus on April 25, 2016, 12:49:27 PM
There are so far three main theories circulating about the Red Woman after the last episode:

1. She has always been that old and the show offers a major reveal.
2. All her magic to date has actually aged her and she is almost done.
3. She has started some spell to rez Jon Snow - in a life for life way.

Her ADWD chapter implies that she's really that old, IIRC.

That's my recollection as well.  The show is clearly exaggerating for effect (no one with those muscles could get on a horse), but I think the gem just hides her actual age.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Norgy

I liked the nod to Monty Python with the conversation among the khal and his two blood riders.
IT'S AMONG THE TOP FIVE!!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Norgy on April 25, 2016, 02:07:38 PM
I liked the nod to Monty Python with the conversation among the khal and his two blood riders.

Yeah, funny scene.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Norgy on April 25, 2016, 02:07:38 PM

:lol:

Yeah, I loved that scene

Josquius

Well. That was....an episode. Nothing much happened.
Oh. Except the revolution in Dorne. The show's way of bringing in Faegon's effect on the south without having to introduce Faegon?
The Melisandre revelation- well duh. A bit of a damp squib really, I was expecting her to be much horrible looking underneath the glamour rather than just old. I was expecting house of the undying style living corpse stuff. Thinking about it, I think when 'Angel' did a similar thing with a magic pretty woman hiding a horrible maggoty monster.
Wonder why she revealed herself like that though, she does it every night before bed?...never got that impression.

And yes. The what have the Romans ever done for us conversation was nice.
██████
██████
██████

viper37

It's a dedicated thread to the show, like the Walking Dead.  Imho, we come here at our own risks.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Habbaku

Quote from: Tyr on April 25, 2016, 02:55:23 PM
Oh. Except the revolution in Dorne. The show's way of bringing in Faegon's effect on the south without having to introduce Faegon?

:yes:  Precisely.  I don't like the change, but only because I wish they had more time.  Dorne has completely sucked this entire time, and I'm not unhappy they decided to hurry things up there if they were just going to butcher the plot.  This accomplishes the same thing (Dornish support against the Lannisters) without too much screen time.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: Martinus on April 25, 2016, 12:54:49 PM

I think we assume people have watched the latest episode, and given that the show is no longer anywhere in the books territory, I assume there are no spoilers - just speculations - left.

It's actually kinda refreshing. :)

Agreed.  If you haven't seen the most recent episode, you should just steer clear of this thread.  Other than that...wild speculation time.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

I guess the question is: had Melissandre had that amulet on herself in previous seasons? If yes, she is indeed that old. If not, the amulet is a spell to transfer her life powers to Jon.

Admiral Yi

My sense from the last scene was they were foreshadowing some great personal sacrifice on Mesalindre's part, like trading her life for Jon's.

Jaron

I saw it more as Melisandre is broken.

Stannis is dead. Jon is dead.

All that she saw in the fires did not come to pass. Taking the amulet off was her breaking with her faith and returning feebly to bed. Maybe she hopes to die in her sleep.
Winner of THE grumbler point.