News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Not really surprising at all.  I was expecting no less.

I do have strong hopes for the book to be finished this year, however.  GRRM seems really down on himself in the public post he made on the matter.  I have to think he won't let the novel slip into 2017.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

celedhring

He's probably getting heat from publishers since they are missing on a lot of money by not releasing before the show.

Habbaku

I don't think GRRM has ever given a shit about what his publishers think, at least beyond professional courtesy/personal relationships.  What kind of heat can they possibly give him?  He is immensely wealthy and can get his book printed with any company he wishes.  They have no power on him.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Eddie Teach

He's also missing out on money by not releasing before the show.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Habbaku

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Norgy

Dude knows how to sport suspenders and a cap.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 02, 2016, 02:40:27 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on January 02, 2016, 02:29:23 PM
And?

Some people are motivated by that. /shrug

Beyond a certain point, money becomes meaningless.  Martin seems past that point.  It's pretty obvious that he feels no real pressure to finish the book, other than personal pride.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on January 02, 2016, 03:34:46 PM
He has a personal pride?

He is a personal pride.  At least part of him is, anyway.  The fat part, maybe not so much.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/arts-entertainment/george-r-r-martin-cannot-think-of-single-good-reason-to-finish-book-20160105105045

QuoteGeorge R R Martin cannot think of single good reason to finish book

AGEING multimillionaire George R R Martin has stopped writing the next Game of Thrones book while in the middle of a sentence.

Halfway through The Winds of Winter, Martin typed 'Tyrion looked darkly at' when he suddenly realised he was already very rich and quite old.

He said: "I was a hundred thousand words into this thing where I've got armies in one continent, zombies in another, dragons burning things all over the place and numerous uninteresting sub-plots involving minor noblemen whose names I cannot currently recall. It is, by anyone's reckoning, a fucking nightmare.

"I was looking at several more months of inhumanly hard graft and even then everyone is bound to slag it off as 'unsatisfying'.

"Meanwhile it is a lovely day outside and I am an older man with more money than I can possibly ever spend.

"You tell me why I should finish this? It's an honest question. Someone else can do it if they like, I'm cool with that."

Martin had already spent the morning wading through a massive Excel spreadsheet listing hundreds of characters as 'ALIVE', 'DEAD' or 'IN SOME SORT OF SKY DUNGEON', which he has since deleted.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Frankly I was annoyed he spent precious writing time writing that self-flagellating piece. We all know you are writing really slow on these last two books George. If we ever see them we will be pleasantly surprised.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

I wish him best even if the series is never finished. He created it as an "unfilmable" series that became one of the most successful tv shows of all times. He has already given us more than most - he does not owe us anything.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on January 05, 2016, 01:38:10 PM
I wish him best even if the series is never finished. He created it as an "unfilmable" series that became one of the most successful tv shows of all times. He has already given us more than most - he does not owe us anything.

Indeed. Also why I found his apologetic note rather unsettling. He seems to be really wrestling with the strain of trying to finish this thing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Habbaku on January 02, 2016, 02:10:36 PM
I have to think he won't let the novel slip into 2017.

He said he's "months away" even if the writing goes well.  Add in 3-4 months for the publisher to turn it around and it's easy to see him missing 2016.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson