News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Yes your right - the complaint about Sansa is that she escaped, rather than sitting on her ass. Because those are the only two possible options.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Grey Fox

What are the other options? If the show makes something else ups, the complaints would be of even more departure from Book Sansa.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Berkut

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 17, 2015, 08:01:39 AM
What are the other options? If the show makes something else ups, the complaints would be of even more departure from Book Sansa.

The show departed from book Sansa a long, long time ago, and nobody who has expressed a complaint about her story has based that complaint on her being outside the scope of the book.

You are inventing an argument that nobody has made, I think there is a word for that.

0 rows returned

Grey Fox

While the show has departed from Book Sansa a long time ago, that has not stopped the complaints.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

The complaints are about where it took her.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Berkut

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 17, 2015, 08:35:52 AM
While the show has departed from Book Sansa a long time ago, that has not stopped the complaints.

Of course - the complaints are about how the show has managed her story SINCE it departed from the books.

So yeah, that has not stopped the complaints, rather the opposite.

Personally, my annoyance has nothing to do with the show departing from the books (and it isn't really even a departure per se, they just continued her story beyond where the books have left off), but rather I think the writers have done a poor job telling the story in it's own right, absent the book entirely.

0 rows returned

crazy canuck

Quote from: LaCroix on June 16, 2015, 10:32:18 PM
if the show adopted sansa's book plot, people would find it incredibly boring. she just isn't doing anything right now. and, she may not do anything in the next book, too. her whole arc in the book may in fact be just to show littlefinger's actions without having to show his inner thoughts. anything more might very well be fanfiction, like stannis winning.

sansa's current book plot wouldn't fit the show. they'd be better off cutting her completely than show a season of her getting talked to by littlefinger. at least the show is using her. because the show does what the books cannot do - provide multiple POVs not found in the books because doing so would spoil plotlines.

Ok, so why write her into this season at all then.  Isnt that the point.  It served no purpose.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 17, 2015, 10:28:51 AM
Ok, so why write her into this season at all then.  Isnt that the point.  It served no purpose.
they needed somoene to advance Littlefinger and the Bolton's story.  In the books, he reuses a minor character called Jeyne Poole wich is passed as Arya Stark.  In the series, that would have been confusing a little since I'm not sure we ever saw her, and b) it required putting a new actress under contract.  Aside the budget constraints, there is the casting issue: do you find the right actress for that, at the right age?  That's a lot of risk, and they only have 20hrs left to tell the story.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on June 17, 2015, 10:58:28 AM
they needed somoene to advance Littlefinger and the Bolton's story.  In the books, he reuses a minor character called Jeyne Poole wich is passed as Arya Stark.  In the series, that would have been confusing a little since I'm not sure we ever saw her, and b) it required putting a new actress under contract.  Aside the budget constraints, there is the casting issue: do you find the right actress for that, at the right age?  That's a lot of risk, and they only have 20hrs left to tell the story.

Jeyne was in the show. It would have been just as easy to write her into this season as it would have been to create a meaningless story arc for Sansa.  It probably came down to the cost of paying another actress to advance the story of both Bolton and Theon.  Littlefinger didn't need to appear this season either.

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 17, 2015, 11:16:07 AM
Quote from: viper37 on June 17, 2015, 10:58:28 AM

Jeyne was in the show. It would have been just as easy to write her into this season as it would have been to create a meaningless story arc for Sansa.  It probably came down to the cost of paying another actress to advance the story of both Bolton and Theon.  Littlefinger didn't need to appear this season either.

I think it was just kind of lazy writing. There is a lot going on in the show, and I suspect the Sansa story was just not really focused on much, and by the time they realized it kind of sucked, it was probably too late to revise.

That is my guess anyway. It is a ridiculously complex story and show, and really, if this is the only example once it is all done where we look back and say "Yeah, the Sansa story after the Vale really kind of sucked" it will still be a pretty astounding series.

0 rows returned

Josephus

Quote from: LaCroix on June 16, 2015, 10:32:18 PM
if the show adopted sansa's book plot, people would find it incredibly boring. she just isn't doing anything right now. and, she may not do anything in the next book, too. her whole arc in the book may in fact be just to show littlefinger's actions without having to show his inner thoughts. anything more might very well be fanfiction, like stannis winning.

sansa's current book plot wouldn't fit the show. they'd be better off cutting her completely than show a season of her getting talked to by littlefinger. at least the show is using her. because the show does what the books cannot do - provide multiple POVs not found in the books because doing so would spoil plotlines.

She was the vehicle to take us to Winterfell. Arguably a boring part of the plot but it may have implications down the road, especially with  Reek's rehabilitaton
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 17, 2015, 11:16:07 AM
Littlefinger didn't need to appear this season either.
true.  All we needed were Jon Snow and Daenerys.  The rest, we had no use for.  It's not like there's 20 episodes left to finish the story, after all, we can afford to squander in every direction like the author of the books and make another season if need be, just like he would write another book. ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

LaCroix

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 17, 2015, 10:28:51 AMOk, so why write her into this season at all then.  Isnt that the point.  It served no purpose.

she's a major stark kid that's not becoming a tree. you can't really cut her out - that ain't kosher. jeyne poole wouldn't have worked, imo. as was mentioned at some point in this thread, it's a weak/kinda unrealistic plot in the books. but, this would be worse than the books because we have actual visuals.

then there's the logistics of paying/dealing with another actress in an already huge cast. they already brought lancel back from the dead, introduced a ton of meereen people and an entire dukedom, etc. and, theon saving sansa is a better and more intimate plot than theon saving some random chick he probably took two glances at back in the day.

there's a lot of reasons why they included this plot, and the S5 sansa plot is by far not the worst thing this show has delivered. complaints about it remind me of the barristan death complaints: "but the books didn't do that!"

Admiral Yi

LaCroix

it's just some of the criticisms are so focused on comparisons between the show and the book that i think it gets lost that they're two completely separate, distinct forms of entertainment