News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Has he ever actually read the Iliad?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

11B4V

Ha ha Tim, nothing but a bunch of b.s. drama. TV for the assburger generation. Told you, you all suck.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Habbaku

Quote from: 11B4V on June 16, 2015, 06:25:24 PM
Ha ha Tim, nothing but a bunch of b.s. drama. TV for the assburger generation. Told you, you all suck.

It's a strange type of personality that keeps commenting on others watching a show that one hates so much.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

11B4V

Quote from: Habbaku on June 16, 2015, 06:53:47 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on June 16, 2015, 06:25:24 PM

It's a strange type of personality that keeps commenting on others watching a show that one hates so much.

It's strange type of person that views said show.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Sounds like Timmy's two authors got really, really bummed out by the Red Wedding.

Berkut

I would agree that anyone "defending" GoT on the basis of how "realistic" it is are a bunch of dumbasses.

Why anyone would feel a need to defend enjoying the books or the show is kind of beyond me though...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

LaCroix

now that the season has concluded, my biggest question is how many reviewers feel embarrassed that they bitched so much about the sansa rape.  :hmm:

Habbaku

Why would they feel embarrassed about that?  It still seems to have served little purpose, other than to shock and titillate.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

LaCroix

Quote from: Habbaku on June 16, 2015, 08:23:54 PM
Why would they feel embarrassed about that?  It still seems to have served little purpose, other than to shock and titillate.

merged storylines. had theon still do his thing while giving sansa something worthwhile than... whatever she's doing in the books.

Habbaku

I have to disagree there.  Sansa did nothing of note this entire season other than get placed in Winterfell.  Fortunately, she and Theon can take refuge at The Wall, where her half-brother is Lord Commander!...

What Sansa's doing in the books makes vastly more sense, at least to me.  She's learning the string-puller trade direct from Littlefinger and is set to make big moves in The Vale.  Her agency in Winterfell was reduced to zero the moment she got married.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Eddie Teach

My grandmother has a lot of books that might be more to Tim and Bravo's tastes.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Berkut

Indeed - her entire story arc, *at best* now amounts to her *escaping* Ramsey. Her role as a actual player in the game throughout the entire Winterfell portion of her story is zero.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

LaCroix

if the show adopted sansa's book plot, people would find it incredibly boring. she just isn't doing anything right now. and, she may not do anything in the next book, too. her whole arc in the book may in fact be just to show littlefinger's actions without having to show his inner thoughts. anything more might very well be fanfiction, like stannis winning.

sansa's current book plot wouldn't fit the show. they'd be better off cutting her completely than show a season of her getting talked to by littlefinger. at least the show is using her. because the show does what the books cannot do - provide multiple POVs not found in the books because doing so would spoil plotlines.