News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Also, I love one reviewer referring to Mereen as the "Island of Misfit Toys".  :lol:

Martinus

By the way, it just occurred to me - Rhaegal and Vissaryon - forgotten like a couple of puppies in a sunny Walmart parking lot?  :cry:

A DRAGON IS NOT A TOYBLOWTORCH!  :mad:

garbon

Well this is something I never knew I needed.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

Goddamnit. Could they possibly have made any more cliffhangers?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Martinus

I thought it was a brillant finale - and for the first time we are out of books.

Liep

Quote from: Martinus on June 15, 2015, 05:45:48 AM
I thought it was a brillant finale - and for the first time we are out of books.

Well, Martin "hopes" to have TWoW out before April next year. So yes, we're out of books. :(
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

I see FiveThirtyEight predicts its latest publication date to August 2018. :lol:

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Berkut

One thing I found a little frustrating is that Jon never really tries to pitch what he sees as the core issue to the Nights Watch.

Which is that the Wall, and the Watch, are not actually there to fight Wildlings. Sure, that is all they HAVE fought or the last thousand years or whatever, but nobody builds an 800 ft tall wall of ice to protect against a bunch of ragtag wildlings. It is a reasonable mistake to have forgotten that, but now it is time to re-dedicate the Watch to it's real purpose - defending Westeros from the walkers.

It never really seems well articulated.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Minsky Moment

Eddie Stark was a good guardian to have for learning sword fighting and such.  Maybe not the best for teaching public speaking and Aristotelian rhetoric.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Martinus

Maybe it's hype talking, but I thought this was one of the best and most memorable season's finale since season 1. But unlike season 1 (which was about hope and new beginnings) this one was about endings or (seemingly) coming back to square one. I am already excited for the next season.  :blush:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on June 15, 2015, 10:25:58 AM
One thing I found a little frustrating is that Jon never really tries to pitch what he sees as the core issue to the Nights Watch.

Which is that the Wall, and the Watch, are not actually there to fight Wildlings. Sure, that is all they HAVE fought or the last thousand years or whatever, but nobody builds an 800 ft tall wall of ice to protect against a bunch of ragtag wildlings. It is a reasonable mistake to have forgotten that, but now it is time to re-dedicate the Watch to it's real purpose - defending Westeros from the walkers.

I think he did a fair job of articulating that view in prior episodes.  Although I agree the show could have done a better job of it.  They had a lot of material to draw upon from the books to help the writers of the show along.

Very anti-climactic end for Stannis (although hopefully mercy was shown so his story arc can continue).  And again a result that can only be obtained by a significant dumbing down of the character from that of the books - from his decision to burn his daughter in front of his troops to his decision to launch an attack on Winterfell with such a depleted force. 

Lastly where did all those Bolton troops come from?  Did the sell swords who left Stannis become employed by Bolton?  Is that the show's proxy for the much more involved plot line in the books of Stannis not having as much support in the North as he thinks? 

All in all a very unsatisfying finale.  Not so much cliffhangers as a bunch of unfinished stories.  So I guess in one respect the show is mirroring the books.

Eddie Teach

Overall, I thought this probably the weakest season so far and doesn't bode well regarding the showrunners' coming up with good independent material. Most of the major departures such as Sansa coming to Winterfell and Stannis burning his daughter were rather unsatisfying.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 15, 2015, 11:30:29 AM

I think he did a fair job of articulating that view in prior episodes.  Although I agree the show could have done a better job of it.  They had a lot of material to draw upon from the books to help the writers of the show along.

I think they do an ok job to articulate that to the viewer - the viewer gets that, but I never got the feeling the rank and file of the Night's Watch ever gets that, or that it is ever made very clear to them, and that includes the books, btw. It frustrated me reading it as well, simply because it is pretty damn obvious that stressing out about Wilidlings while you have a proven army of the undead is pretty fucking stupid.

I didn't even think this part of the story worked very well in the books, much less the show.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Larch

Quote from: Berkut on June 15, 2015, 12:19:06 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 15, 2015, 11:30:29 AM

I think they do an ok job to articulate that to the viewer - the viewer gets that, but I never got the feeling the rank and file of the Night's Watch ever gets that, or that it is ever made very clear to them, and that includes the books, btw. It frustrated me reading it as well, simply because it is pretty damn obvious that stressing out about Wilidlings while you have a proven army of the undead is pretty fucking stupid.

I didn't even think this part of the story worked very well in the books, much less the show.

IMO it is much better explained in the books, it is simmering for the whole fifth book with no first hand account of Hardhome, while in the show all the resentment boiled on to mutiny in barely 4 episodes. I mean, Jon wasn't even elected Lord Commander until the 2nd or 3rd episode of the season, and by the 7th he was already getting veiled death threats.