Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 08, 2015, 05:14:19 PM
Also offed a kid

Why so soft on child murder?

At someone else's command, not out of cruelty. 

He protected Sansa as much as he could at King's Landing from Joffrey's cruelty.  He tried to return her to her family.

Josephus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 08, 2015, 06:01:42 PM
Quote from: Tyr on June 08, 2015, 05:11:23 PM
Stannis... What a cock. What a departure. This really is pushing me towards the belief that Dani/ the side of fire is the "bad" side with the Others actually being a lot nicer than they may seem.

:huh:

Dani is clearly the option you're supposed to be rooting for; this is made much simpler in the show by blackening Stannis and removing her nephew.

And throwing the show's most popular character to her side.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

LaCroix

Quote from: Berkut on June 08, 2015, 11:30:45 AM
Yeah, certainly no nothern troops would stand for that.

I mean, they didn't just kill her, right? They burned her alive.

here's an army that's in a really, awfully bad situation. they've probably all heard about melisandre's powers (even if few have seen it). they hear burning the kid means survival. a lot of those men, while not happy to see/hear it, probably at least respect it to some degree. their lord has just sacrificed his own daughter for all of their survival. every one of those men knows how cold stannis is, so it's not like this is a complete reversal of his character.

LaCroix

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 08, 2015, 05:22:40 PMThe Hound carried out the orders of one of the most sadistic people in the land.  At what point was he at all good before he left Kings Landing?

can you really say someone is bad if he merely followed orders?  :hmm:

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Habbaku on June 08, 2015, 01:42:42 PM
I don't think there ever was an explanation, or at least I don't recall it.  It almost certainly has to do with the cyclical seasons(/climate change) and the waning/waxing of magic power.  The dragons appeared in tune with the Red Comet, so it seems to me that they grow in line with the increase in magic in the world.  Since magic is currently increasing (in Westeros, at least), I think it reasonable to conclude that the dragons will keep growing, potentially to an immense size depending on just how much magic comes about.
[spoiler]I thought the Maesters secretely poisoned them to get rid of magic.?[/spoiler]
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

LaCroix

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 08, 2015, 06:01:42 PM:huh:

Dani is clearly the option you're supposed to be rooting for; this is made much simpler in the show by blackening Stannis and removing her nephew.

dani's who you're meant to root for in the books, too. book stannis was always going to die to someone, and there's been clear indicators throughout the story that he's not exactly a good guy. he's a sympathetic and fun character, but i bet you the books will start showing his descent into awfulness. grrm likes playing with the audience. take a bad character, make him good. take a neutral character, make him bad, then good. i'm sure stannis has purposely been written in a way to make him appear good but littered with enough character issues that it's only natural when he's made bad.

(edit) misread your post. we might not be disagreeing on this!

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Lettow77

Jeb should know better than to cast such hideous slanders against Stannis. Stannis is the law and order candidate. Stannis will restore segregation to Mississippi schools.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Habbaku

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 08, 2015, 06:47:06 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on June 08, 2015, 01:42:42 PM
I don't think there ever was an explanation, or at least I don't recall it.  It almost certainly has to do with the cyclical seasons(/climate change) and the waning/waxing of magic power.  The dragons appeared in tune with the Red Comet, so it seems to me that they grow in line with the increase in magic in the world.  Since magic is currently increasing (in Westeros, at least), I think it reasonable to conclude that the dragons will keep growing, potentially to an immense size depending on just how much magic comes about.
[spoiler]I thought the Maesters secretely poisoned them to get rid of magic.?[/spoiler]

If you buy that story, I have a bridge to sell you.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Ed Anger

Quote from: Lettow77 on June 08, 2015, 07:13:24 PM
Jeb should know better than to cast such hideous slanders against Stannis. Stannis is the law and order candidate. Stannis will restore segregation to Mississippi schools.

:D
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Quote from: HVC on June 08, 2015, 01:52:22 PM
I thought it was because of inbreeding after most of the dragons died during the dance of the dragons.

And wasn't Belarion an unusually large dragon?
I always though that it might have had something to do with the waxing and waning of magic.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Grallon

Meh episode - scattered all over the place.  I knew about the 'Drogon exit' but I still don't like it; too convenient and contrived.

In any case, episode eight was much more effective than this one.  And it saddens me to see that pretty little Crow boy will most likely attempt on John's life.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Neil

Quote from: Lettow77 on June 08, 2015, 07:13:24 PM
Stannis burned his crippled daughter.  Given your weakness for crippled girls, surely that must be the greatest possible affront to you?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Lettow77

QuoteStannis burned his crippled daughter.  Given your weakness for crippled girls, surely that must be the greatest possible affront to you?

Stannis has done no such thing; Shireen is his rightful heir, and Justin Massey is entrusted to seeing she is placed on the throne after Stannis becomes the given sacrifice for his people as he has seen in the fires.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Neil

Quote from: Lettow77 on June 08, 2015, 09:36:46 PM
QuoteStannis burned his crippled daughter.  Given your weakness for crippled girls, surely that must be the greatest possible affront to you?

Stannis has done no such thing; Shireen is his rightful heir, and Justin Massey is entrusted to seeing she is placed on the throne after Stannis becomes the given sacrifice for his people as he has seen in the fires.
Well, Show-Stannis did.

Book-Stannis is runnign around with a bunch of northerners (Yankees!) and has just sold himself out to foreign big business (carpetbaggers!).  Surely you must be enraged at his actions.