News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Danny and Therion is probably better than anything on GoT so far. Sure, it may be amusing to watch Tywin, Olenna, Littlefinger and others trade barbs, but these two are probably the only ones who are both very smart, decent and honest.

Norgy

Josephus

Every season has one big budget episode, I guess last night's was it.

Not sure if any of that was in the book...or did I sleep through it? [spoiler]I thought all the losses in the book were put down to stormy weather, right?[/spoiler]
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Good episode.  @Josephus, you are right.  This is another story line deviating from the books.

The theory of many for why the show killed off Barristan is not now valid.  He and the Imp could have both advised the Queen.

Norgy

White walkers are even worse than Scott Walker.  :ph34r:

Solmyr

Based on the episode 9 preview, I'm guessing [spoiler]they are adapting Ser Davos's storyline so he will now save Shireen from burning rather than Edric Storm like in the books.[/spoiler]

crazy canuck

Quote from: Solmyr on June 01, 2015, 01:51:35 PM
Based on the episode 9 preview, I'm guessing [spoiler]they are adapting Ser Davos's storyline so he will now save Shireen from burning rather than Edric Storm like in the books.[/spoiler]

I think you are correct.[spoiler]Davos has become the character in the show representing everyone in the books who believes it is wrong to sacrifice people with royal blood to the Lord of Light[/spoiler]

Eddie Teach

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 01, 2015, 01:56:44 PM

I think you are correct.[spoiler]Davos has become the character in the show representing everyone in the books who believes it is wrong to sacrifice people with royal blood to the Lord of Light[/spoiler]

[spoiler]He meant Davos saved Edric in the books, not that Edric saved Shireen. [/spoiler]
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 01, 2015, 02:01:51 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 01, 2015, 01:56:44 PM

[spoiler]He meant Davos saved Edric in the books, not that Edric saved Shireen. [/spoiler]

Yes, [spoiler]Davos is going to be the one who saves whoever is going to be burned.  I would have liked to see the show develop that part of the story line better before they get to a decision Stannis needs to make about his own daughter.  But I think Davos will ultimately be the one who has to save her from her own father.[/spoiler]

The Larch

Speculation for the end of the season tying up with the books:

[spoiler]Is it me or is it shaping up to Olly, the young boy at the Watch, being the one who will stab Jon when he returns for allying with the Wildlings?[/spoiler]

Josquius

Wasn't expecting Hardholme to be over and done so fast. But it was cool.

Interesting to hear Rickon mentioned. I was just getting to thinking that they were pretending they had never introduced him.

Re : Killing off Baristan.
I guess it adds a bit more drama with Tyrion. With Baristan still there he could have vouched for Tyrion a bit-I think they've crossed paths on neutral terms before.
██████
██████
██████

Solmyr

Quote from: The Larch on June 01, 2015, 05:17:12 PM

[spoiler]Is it me or is it shaping up to Olly, the young boy at the Watch, being the one who will stab Jon when he returns for allying with the Wildlings?[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Almost certainly, the way they point the camera at him and have him talk about his dead parents constantly.[/spoiler]

The Larch

Quote from: Solmyr on June 01, 2015, 05:29:36 PM
Quote from: The Larch on June 01, 2015, 05:17:12 PM

[spoiler]Almost certainly, the way they point the camera at him and have him talk about his dead parents constantly.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]That and Sam talking about having to take difficult decissions that will be better in the long run. In his head he's defending Jon, but in Olly's head he's watering the seeds of dissent.[/spoiler]

Admiral Yi

[spoiler]There's also a chance he doesn't get offed.[/spoiler]

Habbaku

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 01, 2015, 05:38:14 PM
[spoiler]There's also a chance he doesn't get offed.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I think it's almost certain that the last scene is his stabbing and a fade-to-black to keep it uncertain as to whether he's dead or not.[/spoiler]
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien