News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: The Larch on May 18, 2015, 06:59:03 PM
Apparently the Sansa scene has created enough reaction and backlash for a women's nerd website (The Mary Sue) to formally announce that they're going to stop covering Game of Thrones.  :huh:

Like that's the worst thing Bolton's done. Women...sheesh.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

So rape is bad but shooting four crossbow bolts into a chick is OK.

The Larch

grumbler

Quote from: The Larch on May 18, 2015, 07:09:47 PM
In case somebody wants to read their reasoning:

http://www.themarysue.com/we-will-no-longer-be-promoting-hbos-game-of-thrones/

I think that their reasoning is fine, for them, but I don't buy it overall.  The show's choices were to have the rape take place offscreen, in which case none of the objections change, or else not have it happen at all, in which case the Ramsey character gets gutted as the evil guy who we really, really want to see go down.  The argument that the scene shows more of Theon's face than Sansa's is a non-issue; the rape is actually more horrific this way, and what's poor Sophie Turner going to do differently if the scene stays on her face? 

The argument that this scene doesn't impact Sansa's character and so is gratuitous also doesn't fly given that it is the very last scene we see.  I'm betting that she changes a lot, in ways that advance the plot, from this horror.

So, they can drop coverage, for reasons sufficient onto them, and I won't say they are wrong.  I will say i don't really care that they stop covering it, since I haven't even noticed their coverage to this point.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josephus

I tried to get past the second paragraph, but couldn't. And as an editor, i read a lot of shit.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

The text makes zero sense.  You don't engage in a political act over issues of character development and plotting.

The subtext I'm picking up is that the writer wants us to consider rape to be such a horrible, shocking, traumatizing concept that it should never been shown in a movie.  Or discussed.   Or said out loud.  Or thought about.

Admiral Yi

Either that or she is a HUGE Sansa fan.  :hmm:

Admiral Yi

Just one more post before someone else does and I've pulled a Marty.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 18, 2015, 08:02:49 PM
Just one more post before someone else does and I've pulled a Marty.
:unsure:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Habbaku

Martinus has a habit of making a ton of connected ideas into a long string of posts rather than a single one.  And having no one respond in-between, because he posts them back to back in a short time frame.

:themoryouknow:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Martinus

Martinus

Quote from: The Larch on May 18, 2015, 07:09:47 PM
In case somebody wants to read their reasoning:

http://www.themarysue.com/we-will-no-longer-be-promoting-hbos-game-of-thrones/

I was actually going to start a thread about that particular backlash - it seems to me that in this day and age rape is suddenly becoming the worst crime imaginable. This is retarded. Sure, it is a serious crime and there used to be a history of it being dismissed or smudged by blaming the victim - but there are many crimes, such as murder or extended torture, that are much worse.

I have seen one reviewer say that what happened to Sansa in that scene is the worst ordeal that has happened to any character on the show so far. What the fuck?

Martinus

By the way, it's not that I am becoming more conservative in my dotage, but seeing what they are up to these days, I am coming to a conclusion that university campuses should be cleansed in a nuclear fire.