News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solmyr

Martinus

You are joking, right? I guess all American Presidents who said "God Bless America" must also be the same person!

Solmyr

Quote from: Martinus on May 07, 2015, 05:43:48 AM
You are joking, right? I guess all American Presidents who said "God Bless America" must also be the same person!

If they were characters in GoT, they would be. :P

Eddie Teach

Not such a coincidence. They're both Braavosi.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

KRonn

Quote from: Tyr on May 07, 2015, 01:18:32 AM
Wonder where Tyrion vanishing leaves varys.

I was wondering the same thing. I think he's wanted by the Lanisters as they must know he helped Tyrion flee, or suspect it since he's missing from King's Landing. I forget how the two of them left the city, and if Varys has any cover for himself for leaving.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 07, 2015, 08:08:23 AM

Any they both need to shoot their hairdressers
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Self hating Jew disses the rockin' Jewfro.  :rolleyes:

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 07, 2015, 10:21:08 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 07, 2015, 08:08:23 AM

Any they both need to shoot stab their hairdressers
FYP.  Neither has shown any aptitude with bow or crossbow.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josephus

Quote from: grumbler on May 06, 2015, 08:06:46 PM
Quote from: Kleves on May 06, 2015, 07:33:28 PM
I don't have any problem with Cersei and the Sparrows, or with the Sons of the Harpy and the Unsullied, but I agree that Barristan walking through the city alone was goofy.

Agreed.  Jamie Lannister never moves without a troop of bodyguards.  Why would the best bodyguard of them all not use lots of bodyguards?  And, of course, each of those bodyguards would need a bunch of bodyguards... It's bodyguards all the way down.

Seems silly to guard a guard when he's a guard. (misquote from a Python sketch)

Anyway....I disagree with Jamie always having bodyguards.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

grumbler

Quote from: Josephus on May 07, 2015, 12:35:57 PM
I don't have any problem with Cersei and the Sparrows, or with the Sons of the Harpy and the Unsullied, but I agree that Barristan walking through the city alone was goofy.

Agreed.  Jamie Lannister never moves without a troop of bodyguards.  Why would the best bodyguard of them all not use lots of bodyguards?  And, of course, each of those bodyguards would need a bunch of bodyguards... It's bodyguards all the way down.

there may have been an element of tongue-in-cheek to my post.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on May 07, 2015, 12:35:57 PM

When he was at King's Landing Barristan was just a guard and far from one of the most important people in the city.  He took on a very different role once he became the main advisor to the Queen.   A distinction lost on some here and apparently the writers of the show.

Jamie has always been a guard.

grumbler

Some here seem to think that these characters are not intended to be people, but to be robots mechanically computing and executing the optimal objective task at any given moment, without any self-respect or limits on their knowledge.  They don't "get" storytelling.

Some here think that Ser Barriston, the character, knew the script and so knew that the Sons were operating in numbers too large for him to handle.   Some here don't understand how debate within canon works - you cannot criticize a character for not knowing what the audience knows.  All of the Sons'  previous attacks had been in small numbers on isolated Unsullied, and they had faded immediately into the background.  As far as Ser Barriston know, he had to arrive quickly to catch a handful of Sons (too few to threaten the greatest warrier around) in the act.  Some here don't seem to get that.

The idea that a leader would take risks even when much depends on him is, historically, absurd.  Had Pyoter Bagration led from the front like this, he would probably have been killed at Borodino.  Imagine  Gustavus Adolphus leading a cavalry charge at the battle of Lutzen!  :lol:  Why, he might have been killed!  Why would the most important man in Sweden lead a cavalry charge when he knows there is such a threat?  It doesn't make much sense.  And, lord know, real people don't do things that don't make sense to sensible people, so having a fictional character do something that a rather slow person might think doesn't make sense isn't on at all.

Some here... right?

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 07, 2015, 01:07:14 PM

He was an heir to a great house.
He's never been "just" a guard.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Martinus

I agree with grumbler. In fact from my experiences with pen and paper roleplaying, people who always chose the optimal path for their characters were the most boring. Some of the most fun sessions I ever had a both a player and a game master was when people where making dumb (but in-character) choices.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 07, 2015, 03:42:18 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 07, 2015, 01:07:14 PM

He was an heir to a great house.
He's never been "just" a guard.

Incorrect.  In both the Books and the show he had to renounce his inheritance to become a King's Guard.  That is the main reason his father was so upset about the decision.  From that point on he was just a guard.  King Joffrey certainly didn't care too much about him. ;)