News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Or, at least, Littlefinger thinks he has the real power in Westeros.

The fact that he agreed with Sansa that the older Bolton is the one to be feared (when Ramsey is far more dangerous, because deranged) indicates that maybe he doesn't know as much as he thinks he does.  The fact that he is returning to King's Landing (where the Sparrows are running wild against people just like him) also tells me that maybe he doesn't quite have the grasp on affairs that he believes himself to possess.

BTW, I agree with the complaint that the Unsullied responded poorly to the mob, but like the fact that [spoiler]Barristan got such a nice send-off - he'd want to go in battle[/spoiler]
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Liep

Quote from: grumbler on May 05, 2015, 09:27:11 AMThe fact that he is returning to King's Landing (where the Sparrows are running wild against people just like him) also tells me that maybe he doesn't quite have the grasp on affairs that he believes himself to possess.

Yeah, the brothel manager mentioned Littlefinger's name twice to the Sparrows to no avail. I can't help but think that is going to play a role later on, exactly how I'm unsure of though.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Martinus

Quote from: Tyr on May 04, 2015, 04:47:52 PM
Quote from: Liep on May 04, 2015, 04:46:33 AM
Also, I don't understand Cersei's motivation here either. Has she really become so petty as to let loose an uncontrollable army just to spite her daughter in law? In the books there were a bit more at play, and also a 'bigger' target iirc.
The way I see it she thinks she is buying an ally by putting herself across as so lovely and religious (because nobody has heard the stories about her :rolleyes:) and giving them a lot of power.
I guess the high sparrow also seems to be quite a nice figure at the moment. A nice kindly man. When she gets bit it will be interesting to see him change

Given that Lancel (who was her lover and accomplice and is her cousin) is a member of the Sparrows, this logic is quite flawed.

Martinus

Anyway I am mainly bummed by there being no "this birthmark looks like this part of continent" sexposition scenes between Loras and Olyvar in foreseeable future.

Eddie Teach

Cersei is cunning but stupid, this isn't a new development.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Solmyr

Quote from: grumbler on May 05, 2015, 09:27:11 AM
BTW, I agree with the complaint that the Unsullied responded poorly to the mob, but like the fact that [spoiler]Barristan got such a nice send-off - he'd want to go in battle[/spoiler]

Lol no. [spoiler]Barristan getting murdered by a bunch of civilian morons is not a good send-off. And they kept Grey Worm alive, so we can look forward to more Missandei romance-angst scenes. :yuk:[/spoiler]

Josephus

Was Lancel a Sparrow in the book? Can't remember
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Habbaku

Sort of.  He was severely (near-fatally) injured at the same battle, so much that his hair went white.  He then spurned his arranged marriage and went off to be a religious zealot, joining up with the religious knights instead of the poor soldiers.  The TV series seems to have done away with the knightly elements of the group and just made it a mass movement instead.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

Quote from: Martinus on May 03, 2015, 11:48:20 PM
Cersei is so dumb. She is all tactics and no strategy. Unleashing religious zealotry to get back at the brother of her daughter in law is just stupid.

Another example where the books did a much better job of explaining the reason she did it and why, at the time, it made good sense.  I agree that in the show she just ends up looking daft.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 05, 2015, 08:06:52 AM
That Sansa plot is so crazy, it's good.

Especially since I see Little Finger has the real power in Westeros.

Or at least Littlefinger is the master manipulator in all of Westeros. He is a gambler willing to risk all for great gain.  He doesn't have real power - yet.

Grey Fox

I think he already has it but has not realise it yet. He's too busy setting up the Lannisters to die.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 05, 2015, 11:54:05 AM
I think he already has it but has not realise it yet. He's too busy setting up the Lannisters to die.

I guess we will see what the writers of the show have in mind when he meets with Cersie next episode.

grumbler

Quote from: Solmyr on May 05, 2015, 11:31:51 AM
Quote from: grumbler on May 05, 2015, 09:27:11 AM

Lol no. [spoiler]Barristan getting murdered by a bunch of civilian morons is not a good send-off. And they kept Grey Worm alive, so we can look forward to more Missandei romance-angst scenes. :yuk:[/spoiler]

Lol Yes [spoiler]Barriston goes out fighting the enemies of his queen, kills many of them, and saves Grey Worm's life.  That's how he would have wanted to go, and as he got older the chances were diminishing.[/spoiler]
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Habbaku on May 05, 2015, 11:39:14 AM
Sort of.  He was severely (near-fatally) injured at the same battle, so much that his hair went white.  He then spurned his arranged marriage and went off to be a religious zealot, joining up with the religious knights instead of the poor soldiers.  The TV series seems to have done away with the knightly elements of the group and just made it a mass movement instead.

Yes.  Another example of how the TV series deleted things that would just take too long to explain, like the knights-penitent.  Having Lancel be a Sparrow works just as well and is simpler.

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Works well for simple minds yes.  But we miss a lot of the plot that makes the characters actions make sense if one thinks that sort of thing is important.  Why did a young man who had an incestuous relationship with the most powerful women in the kingdom suddenly become a religious zealot?   Who knows. Cant show that part of the story. Takes too much time.  Just suspend disbelief and go with the story.