Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: The Larch on May 04, 2015, 06:35:52 AM
Quote from: Liep on May 04, 2015, 06:21:39 AM
Quote from: The Larch on May 04, 2015, 06:18:15 AM
Unsullied: Most overrated combat troops ever? How can a rag tag bunch of misfits like the Sons of the Harpy bring down so many of them so easily?

To be fair, they were either assassinated or vastly outnumbered. But it did look like the only really good fighter they had was Grey Worm.

Even if outnumbered, they are supposed to be elite troops, they should be able to take on a bunch of amateurs without breaking a sweat. I guess that they are meant to be lead by others, given that they're dragged into traps so easily.
The problem might be that they're soldiers, not policemen.  The two jobs are very different.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Larch

Quote from: Neil on May 04, 2015, 08:02:27 AM
Quote from: The Larch on May 04, 2015, 06:35:52 AM
Quote from: Liep on May 04, 2015, 06:21:39 AM
Quote from: The Larch on May 04, 2015, 06:18:15 AM
Unsullied: Most overrated combat troops ever? How can a rag tag bunch of misfits like the Sons of the Harpy bring down so many of them so easily?

To be fair, they were either assassinated or vastly outnumbered. But it did look like the only really good fighter they had was Grey Worm.

Even if outnumbered, they are supposed to be elite troops, they should be able to take on a bunch of amateurs without breaking a sweat. I guess that they are meant to be lead by others, given that they're dragged into traps so easily.
The problem might be that they're soldiers, not policemen.  The two jobs are very different.

I agree, and IIRC they even say so in the books as well. Then again, this was plain combat, and they were useless. No attempt to make a formation at all, and take advantage of their training, which is what sets them appart from their rivals. That's rather poor showing.

Berkut

No kidding. I usually just assume it is the nerd in me, but that kind of thing annoys me to no end, simply because it looks bad, it makes them look kind of pathetic, AND you could tell the same story in the same time in a much better way simply by having them fight like soldiers, and kick some ass before succumbing to numbers after being trapped. Hell, you could make it downright heroic.

The only possible reason I can think of for making them all look like chumps is some weird desire to make Grey Worm look exceptional?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on May 04, 2015, 10:20:59 AM
No kidding. I usually just assume it is the nerd in me, but that kind of thing annoys me to no end, simply because it looks bad, it makes them look kind of pathetic, AND you could tell the same story in the same time in a much better way simply by having them fight like soldiers, and kick some ass before succumbing to numbers after being trapped. Hell, you could make it downright heroic.

The only possible reason I can think of for making them all look like chumps is some weird desire to make Grey Worm look exceptional?

Almost all of the fights in the show have been done fairly clumsily.  I suppose that, if the show must have a weakness, that's one of the more tolerable ones.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on May 04, 2015, 11:15:52 AM
Quote from: Berkut on May 04, 2015, 10:20:59 AM

Almost all of the fights in the show have been done fairly clumsily.  I suppose that, if the show must have a weakness, that's one of the more tolerable ones.

I am ok with the individual fights. They are...ok.

And this I guess is blocked out the same - some soldiers get trapped, and they all fight as individuals, in 8 little separate fights, instead of (obviously) a bunch of trained spearmen immediately forming into ranks and daring any of the masked guys to come close.

0 rows returned

Razgovory

Realistic combat in film and television is pretty uncommon.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Loved the Shereen and Stannis scene. By the way, does it imply that the Dornish deliberately infected Shereen with the grey scale - or am I reading too much into the doll story? They sure would have a reason to want to get back at Baratheons.

The Larch

Quote from: Martinus on May 04, 2015, 12:37:38 PM
Loved the Shereen and Stannis scene. By the way, does it imply that the Dornish deliberately infected Shereen with the grey scale - or am I reading too much into the doll story? They sure would have a reason to want to get back at Baratheons.

You're reading too much into that anecdote.

Btw, regarding the end of episode 4 and its consequences... [spoiler]it is confirmed by the actor that Ser Barristan is dead.[/spoiler]

Martinus

Also, does anyone else think that the Teenage Mutant Ninja Sand Snakes should have been introduced into a Tarantinoesque montage, with each of presented with the weapon of choice? :P

Martinus

Quote from: The Larch on May 04, 2015, 12:46:21 PM

Btw, regarding the end of episode 4 and its consequences... [spoiler]it is confirmed by the actor that Ser Barristan is dead.[/spoiler]

Well, that blows. Just as we were getting "Rhaegar is not a rapist" stories. Danny is fucked.

The Larch

Quote from: Martinus on May 04, 2015, 12:53:15 PM

Well, that blows. Just as we were getting "Rhaegar is not a rapist" stories. Danny is fucked.

[spoiler]It clears the way for Jorah Mormont's return. It would have been impossible if Selmy was still around.[/spoiler]

Berkut

Quote from: The Larch on May 04, 2015, 01:01:15 PM
Quote from: Martinus on May 04, 2015, 12:53:15 PM

[spoiler]It clears the way for Jorah Mormont's return. It would have been impossible if Selmy was still around.[/spoiler]

Indeed, it basically make Mormont's return a necessity. Kind of weird - she is replacing Barristna with Tyrion?

0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on May 04, 2015, 02:19:35 AM
Read the thread. This was noted - but his claim was still not by birth. It's not like absent the rebellion, anyone was sitting around discussing whether Robert should be the next king.

If a freak accident had wiped out all the Targs they would have. Besides you cannot have Robert's Rebellion without the claim. That was a pretty vital piece for why the rebellion worked.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josephus

Is he? I took it to mean that she contracted the grey scale from the doll.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

That's another departure from the books, is it not?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011