And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on May 03, 2015, 01:57:20 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 30, 2015, 04:22:24 PM
Nobody claimed that Robert was the "rightful" heir to the throne of the Targearyns. He had no "claim" by birthright, he conquered them. That established a new dynasty.

Yeah he was. His claim was based on birthright which is what gave his revolt legitimacy. The Baratheons are descended from the Targaryens.

I don't think he based this claim on inheritance.  He couldn't.  There were still Targaryens with a better inheritance claim than his.  Plus, he mentions that he wanted Ned to become the king after the Mad King was overthrown, if I remember the book correctly, and Ned refused.  Add to that the fact that it wasn't "his" revolt at all: it was Jon Aryan's revolt and Ned's revolt.  Robert just joined them because he was their friend.  All that adds up to a claim by right of conquest, not inheritance.

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on May 03, 2015, 06:56:25 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 03, 2015, 06:40:59 AM
Could someone explain something to me? There seems to be a bunch of book readers who are upset that when Jon was executing Janos, he did not say "Edd, fetch me a block" but instead said "Ollie bring me my sword."

:hmm:

Could anyone explain to me why the former is such an "iconic line" for some? I don't even recall that line from the books and it seems like it is one bland, completely inconsequential line replaced with another. In fact, I would say that if anything, the sword reference is better, as it constitutes the call back to the pilot where Ned did the same with Robb. So what gives (other than nerds being autistic).

:hmm:  It strikes me that you are better-off asking the people who have actually expressed the view you question, rather than asking a bunch of people who don't express that view to explain it.  There are some smart people here , but, other than Raz and cC, they are not mind readers.

Raz agrees with Grumbler, gains vast mental powers!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Cersei is so dumb. She is all tactics and no strategy. Unleashing religious zealotry to get back at the brother of her daughter in law is just stupid.

Martinus

Also we get two (or three if you count Ser Barristan's backstory) R+L=J hint bombs!

Berkut

Quote from: Valmy on May 03, 2015, 01:57:20 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 30, 2015, 04:22:24 PM
Nobody claimed that Robert was the "rightful" heir to the throne of the Targearyns. He had no "claim" by birthright, he conquered them. That established a new dynasty.

Yeah he was. His claim was based on birthright which is what gave his revolt legitimacy. The Baratheons are descended from the Targaryens.

Read the thread. This was noted - but his claim was still not by birth. It's not like absent the rebellion, anyone was sitting around discussing whether Robert should be the next king.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Liep

My review of this episode: Melisandre. A+.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Martinus

Quote from: Liep on May 04, 2015, 04:06:31 AM

Is she really, though? I am admittedly not the expert in the field, but do people find Melisandre hot as depicted on the show? She seems quite plain to me.

Liep

Quote from: Martinus on May 04, 2015, 04:33:58 AM

Is she really, though? I am admittedly not the expert in the field, but do people find Melisandre hot as depicted on the show? She seems quite plain to me.

HOTT.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Also, I don't understand Cersei's motivation here either. Has she really become so petty as to let loose an uncontrollable army just to spite her daughter in law? In the books there were a bit more at play, and also a 'bigger' target iirc.

Martinus

Quote from: Liep on May 04, 2015, 04:46:33 AM
Also, I don't understand Cersei's motivation here either. Has she really become so petty as to let loose an uncontrollable army just to spite her daughter in law? In the books there were a bit more at play, and also a 'bigger' target iirc.

Yeah, many commentators have pointed out that there are two elements missing in the show that make the story less compelling. One is the debt the crown owed to the Faith in the books (which was another motivation for Cersei to want to cozy up with them); another was Cersei's inner monologue - without which she seems much dumber (or at least more inexcusably dumb).

The Larch

Unsullied: Most overrated combat troops ever? How can a rag tag bunch of misfits like the Sons of the Harpy bring down so many of them so easily?

Liep

Quote from: The Larch on May 04, 2015, 06:18:15 AM
Unsullied: Most overrated combat troops ever? How can a rag tag bunch of misfits like the Sons of the Harpy bring down so many of them so easily?

To be fair, they were either assassinated or vastly outnumbered. But it did look like the only really good fighter they had was Grey Worm.

The Larch

Quote from: Liep on May 04, 2015, 06:21:39 AM
Quote from: The Larch on May 04, 2015, 06:18:15 AM

To be fair, they were either assassinated or vastly outnumbered. But it did look like the only really good fighter they had was Grey Worm.

Even if outnumbered, they are supposed to be elite troops, they should be able to take on a bunch of amateurs without breaking a sweat. I guess that they are meant to be lead by others, given that they're dragged into traps so easily.

The Larch

Quote from: Liep on May 04, 2015, 04:43:15 AM
Quote from: Martinus on May 04, 2015, 04:33:58 AM

HOTT.

Concur with my esteemed colleague. Redhead with a sultry attitude? You have my interest.

Also, it gets proven that Jon Snow has a thing for redheads. :P

Martinus

Quote from: The Larch on May 04, 2015, 06:52:43 AM
Also, it gets proven that Jon Snow has a thing for redheads. :p

Not really. All it proves is tha redheads have a thing for Jon Snow. :P