News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Martinus

Could someone explain something to me? There seems to be a bunch of book readers who are upset that when Jon was executing Janos, he did not say "Edd, fetch me a block" but instead said "Ollie bring me my sword."

:hmm:

Could anyone explain to me why the former is such an "iconic line" for some? I don't even recall that line from the books and it seems like it is one bland, completely inconsequential line replaced with another. In fact, I would say that if anything, the sword reference is better, as it constitutes the call back to the pilot where Ned did the same with Robb. So what gives (other than nerds being autistic).

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on May 03, 2015, 06:40:59 AM
Could someone explain something to me? There seems to be a bunch of book readers who are upset that when Jon was executing Janos, he did not say "Edd, fetch me a block" but instead said "Ollie bring me my sword."

Could anyone explain to me why the former is such an "iconic line" for some? I don't even recall that line from the books and it seems like it is one bland, completely inconsequential line replaced with another. In fact, I would say that if anything, the sword reference is better, as it constitutes the call back to the pilot where Ned did the same with Robb. So what gives (other than nerds being autistic).

:hmm:  It strikes me that you are better-off asking the people who have actually expressed the view you question, rather than asking a bunch of people who don't express that view to explain it.  There are some smart people here , but, other than Raz and cC, they are not mind readers.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Because novels are historical sources.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on May 03, 2015, 06:57:20 AM

Because novels are historical sources.

Okay, cC.  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

it seems like it is one bland, completely inconsequential line replaced with another.

Talk about desensitization to violence.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Liep

They've moved the release time on Danish HBO from 12:00 Monday to 03:00 Monday. I guess that brings us up to date with the Yanks. :yeah:

Not that I'll be waiting up... I don't think.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josquius

Gosh darn it. Sunday night I'm in such a perfect mood for watching GOT but I'm trying to fight the urge to rush ahead and watch the 4th episode a day early, I have to ween myself onto inferior Monday night viewings...
██████
██████
██████

Martinus

Quote from: Tyr on May 03, 2015, 11:34:45 AM
Gosh darn it. Sunday night I'm in such a perfect mood for watching GOT but I'm trying to fight the urge to rush ahead and watch the 4th episode a day early, I have to ween myself onto inferior Monday night viewings...

Right now it's hardly an early viewing. Just think of it as staying late to watch it. ;)

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on April 30, 2015, 04:13:56 PM
That is exactly my point - Baratheons only won the throne because they defeated the rightful king in battle and got crowned as kings.

Well they were also the legal heirs once you got rid of all the Targs. It was not like they were some sellswords.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on April 30, 2015, 04:22:24 PM
Nobody claimed that Robert was the "rightful" heir to the throne of the Targearyns. He had no "claim" by birthright, he conquered them. That established a new dynasty.

Yeah he was. His claim was based on birthright which is what gave his revolt legitimacy. The Baratheons are descended from the Targaryens.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

The Blondefolk were usurpers as well.

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 03, 2015, 02:08:09 PM
The Blondefolk were usurpers as well.

Not really - they did not usurp anyone.

Admiral Yi

Neil

Yeah, they were unifiers, not usurpers.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.