News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

And Gunsmoke. And the Simpsons.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Twenty seasons of GoT would be dreadful.  Six is the sweet spot for HBO (seven appears to be the producers' plan; they know better than me what's likely to work), so 20 would be far in excess of what has worked. 

I'd rather have 6-7 seasons of GoT, 6-7 seasons of, say, Honor Harrington, and 6-7 seasons of, say, Lensman or Tales of Known Space than 20 seasons of GoT.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Zanza

Watched the first two episodes. Well made again. Looking forward to the rest of the season.

PS: Dany must be the most annoying character on the show.

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 13, 2015, 10:53:26 AM
Quote from: Josephus on April 13, 2015, 10:48:05 AM
Funny how they're ahead of the books in one or two story lines and far behind in others.

[spoiler]I wonder if Sam Tarwell and co. are gonna take that boat ride to the Free Cities.[/spoiler]

The books became incoherent in terms of chronology because of Martin's notion of writing two books which overlapped eachother.    The TV writers have to splice the story lines back together.  Judging from the first episode they are going to do a good job.     

I guess too they won't do [spoiler]Sam's trip to Free Cities[/spoiler] because it seems like we're going to see [spoiler]Tyrion's boat trip[/spoiler] and I guess they can't have two of those in one season.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zanza on April 13, 2015, 04:24:59 PM

Of the ones who are not intended to be annoying I assume.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Zanza on April 13, 2015, 04:24:59 PM
She's definitely my least favorite pov character in the books, as of the last one.  Her fall was incredibly swift after Daharis arrived on the scene.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

grumbler

Yeah.  To tell the truth, the Dani scenes from the book have already just kind of blurred together in my mind.  Lots more words than the actual action required.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Zanza

The back and forth in Meereen seems rather inconsequential for the overall story arc.

Berkut

The overall Dany story is so fucking awesome, from about 10,000 feet.

Down where you are actually reading, you can't help but feel that it could have been told in about 1/3rd the time. Maybe less. It just goes on and on and on and on.

Does she have to fix the ENTIRE WORLD OUTSIDE Westeros before going back? If not, what the fuck is she waiting for now?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

To prove to herself she is a ruler. That is going great so far.

This is one plot that desperately needed that five year gap.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on April 14, 2015, 11:04:48 AM
The overall Dany story is so fucking awesome, from about 10,000 feet.

Down where you are actually reading, you can't help but feel that it could have been told in about 1/3rd the time. Maybe less. It just goes on and on and on and on.

Does she have to fix the ENTIRE WORLD OUTSIDE Westeros before going back? If not, what the fuck is she waiting for now?

Agreed, it was my main disappointment with books 4 and 5.  Her story line got lost in a jumble of detail.  Yes, governing involves hard choices.  We got it after the first 100 pages.  Can we get on with the story now?

Martinus

Yeah, Dani's storyline has some great iconic moment (like "Dracarys"; the "baby confused for a goat"; the "why the Unsullied go to brothels") but a lot of it seems like a filler. In the book especially all I can remember now is how she got shits.

Habbaku

From where things are headed, fortunately, book six won't have nearly the same level of boredom where Dany's stuff is concerned.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote from: Habbaku on April 14, 2015, 11:26:35 AM
From where things are headed, fortunately, book six won't have nearly the same level of boredom where Dany's stuff is concerned.

Well it sure ended in a tricky place.

I have just reflected on the fact I have been a fan of this series for almost ten years and only one book has been released in that time :lol: :weep:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Liep

It's been 4 years since book 5 was released? I can't remember much from it and certainly not from Dany's storyline, so what tricky place? :P
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk