News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones begins....

Started by Josquius, April 04, 2011, 03:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Josephus on April 13, 2015, 10:48:05 AM
Funny how they're ahead of the books in one or two story lines and far behind in others.

[spoiler]I wonder if Sam Tarwell and co. are gonna take that boat ride to the Free Cities.[/spoiler]
Indeed.
Part of me is saying its because much of 5 happened at the same time as 4 but with different people. But....it does seem some stories are out of synch...

It was interesting they showed the scene with young Cersei. Have they ever done this kind of flashback thing before? Usually people just tell stories about past events.
Fingers crossed we get to see the Trident and Tower of Joy sometime. I guess the prediction that we would need Bran as a vehicle for this is a bit awry.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Funny how they're ahead of the books in one or two story lines and far behind in others.

[spoiler]I wonder if Sam Tarwell and co. are gonna take that boat ride to the Free Cities.[/spoiler]

The books became incoherent in terms of chronology because of Martin's notion of writing two books which overlapped eachother.    The TV writers have to splice the story lines back together.  Judging from the first episode they are going to do a good job.     

grumbler

What I am most interested in this season is the indications of how close they are to wrapping up the story.  If HBO types are smart, they are looking at this season and one more.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Quote from: Tyr on April 13, 2015, 10:52:33 AM

Indeed.
Part of me is saying its because much of 5 happened at the same time as 4 but with different people. But....it does seem some stories are out of synch...

It was interesting they showed the scene with young Cersei. Have they ever done this kind of flashback thing before? Usually people just tell stories about past events.
Fingers crossed we get to see the Trident and Tower of Joy sometime. I guess the prediction that we would need Bran as a vehicle for this is a bit awry.

No, it is the first flashback ever.

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on April 13, 2015, 10:55:34 AM
What I am most interested in this season is the indications of how close they are to wrapping up the story.  If HBO types are smart, they are looking at this season and one more.

Why would that be smart? The series makes money.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

LaCroix

i think grumbler was right that D&D have a better grasp on the story than GRRM at this point. i've only seen the first two episodes of this season, but the simplified/consolidated/killed/ storylines seem to work much better.

episode two kinda-spoiler!
[spoiler]i half wished they had changed arya's storyline so she didn't join the faceless.[/spoiler]

viper37

If HBO types are smart, they are looking at this season and one more.
Two more, actually.  The plan is to end it by the 7th season.  The writers want 7 seasons, HBO leans toward 8.
http://www.ew.com/article/2014/03/11/game-of-thrones-7-seasons
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on April 13, 2015, 11:50:16 AM

Because HBO has "lost money" on almost every season seven and beyond that they have done, even when they "made money" in earlier seasons.  Quotes because these series don't generally make money directly except via DVD sales.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on April 13, 2015, 12:39:45 PM
If HBO types are smart, they are looking at this season and one more.
Two more, actually.  The plan is to end it by the 7th season.  The writers want 7 seasons, HBO leans toward 8.
http://www.ew.com/article/2014/03/11/game-of-thrones-7-seasons

I don't think that there is a plan.  There are some different hopes by different parties.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: LaCroix on April 13, 2015, 12:10:13 PM
i think grumbler was right that D&D have a better grasp on the story than GRRM at this point. i've only seen the first two episodes of this season, but the simplified/consolidated/killed/ storylines seem to work much better.

[spoiler]i half wished they had changed arya's storyline so she didn't join the faceless.[/spoiler]

I think that this development might be essential to the final resolution of the story.

Bayraktar!

Siege

Fuck it. Lets do 20 seasons.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on April 13, 2015, 01:15:14 PM
Quote from: LaCroix on April 13, 2015, 12:10:13 PM

I think that this development might be essential to the final resolution of the story.

I agree.  I think it is one of the core lines that will converge when the story comes to an end.  I also think it is one of most interesting story lines.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on April 13, 2015, 01:08:20 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 13, 2015, 11:50:16 AM

Because HBO has "lost money" on almost every season seven and beyond that they have done, even when they "made money" in earlier seasons.  Quotes because these series don't generally make money directly except via DVD sales.

I "see".
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy